First feature...need help

I have started filming my first feature a few months ago and im already regretting it, it's an herculean task and im doing it all by myself with little to no experience!!!

I have to juggle everything by myself, everyone's schedules (including mine), have to borrow some props or ask permission to film in some places,etc... and on top of all that people simply seem to not give a fuck and usually don't show up cuz in their minds they go "We'll do it tommorrow man, no rush".

I'm going crazy and yesterday i had to shoot a scene where a girl dances while people watch her and not only did it go horrible but now i have day and night footage of the same scene! (The owner of the place kept changing schedules).

So, my question is...will i be able to blend the day time footage of my main actor walking around the place during the day with the footage of the girl dancing during the night ? I'll post some screens.

Day footage

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Night footage from the dancer's POV shot with gopro

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-BqUJV-d-NVlRyZ1dzdEloUVU/view?usp=sharing

The film is going to be in Black n' white so what do you think, should i go and reshoot the day footage at night time or will i be able to blend it all in ?

Last edited:
In a couple of those shots I can see a silhouette of a person. Otherwise, I have no idea what's going on in any of them. If that's by design, great. As far as the day/night question is concerned, I don't see any difference between any of these screengrabs. They all look like night to me.

Best of luck on the feature! It's a scary undertaking. I believe you will persevere.

In a couple of those shots I can see a silhouette of a person. Otherwise, I have no idea what's going on in any of them. If that's by design, great. As far as the day/night question is concerned, I don't see any difference between any of these screengrabs. They all look like night to me.

Best of luck on the feature! It's a scary undertaking. I believe you will persevere.

The silhouette is by design but it was shot during the day. Every screengrab i posted was shot during day time and i want you to compare it with the video i also posted.

This video https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-BqUJV-d-NVlRyZ1dzdEloUVU/view

The video was shot during night time and the gopro actually captures way more light than my 700D so i'm not sure i can merge the two together.

Besides i ended up not filming alot of footage because i called a friend who has a degree on cinema but he ended up criticizing so much about my production that i literally stood there without knowing what to do the rest of the shoot just making a fool of myself. I mean, he was trying to be helpful by pointing out what i was doing wrong but at that moment i really didn't need to hear that everything i was doing was wrong.

I think im gonna go and reshoot the whole thing. Im gonna waste money, piss people off and make a fool of myself in front of the owner of the place but it is what it is.

No point in trying to polish a turd in post-production.

It's important to go through these kinds of situations and learn how to deal with it in post production. Those screenshots don't look too different that you'll have too much issue matching them. It depends on what the footage look like at the edits.

I think im gonna go and reshoot the whole thing. Im gonna waste money, piss people off and make a fool of myself in front of the owner of the place but it is what it is.

No point in trying to polish a turd in post-production.

Are you sure it is a turd?
Did you try whether it can be matched in black & white?
You decision should depend on that.

Besides i ended up not filming alot of footage because i called a friend who has a degree on cinema but he ended up criticizing so much about my production that i literally stood there without knowing what to do the rest of the shoot just making a fool of myself. I mean, he was trying to be helpful by pointing out what i was doing wrong but at that moment i really didn't need to hear that everything i was doing was wrong.

Stop talking to that friend, at least regarding filmmaking. Are they a filmmaker? No? Then they don't have any idea what the fuck they're talking about. Maybe they're good at pretending they do. Even if they're good at pretending like they know what the fuck they're talking about, you don't need the negativity.

Stop talking to that friend, at least regarding filmmaking. Are they a filmmaker? No? Then they don't have any idea what the fuck they're talking about. Maybe they're good at pretending they do. Even if they're good at pretending like they know what the fuck they're talking about, you don't need the negativity.

Learned that lesson the hardway

Are you sure it is a turd?
Did you try whether it can be matched in black & white?
You decision should depend on that.

The screenshots all match each other but i'm having trouble matching it with the gopro footage of the dancer.

Back