• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Finished my feature movie first draft!

Holy crap that was a LOT OF WRITING!!!

The most difficult easy writing i've ever EVER done.. Somehow it eneded up with only 60 pages, but thats alright. Lots of scenes were a brief descriptors of the action.

I had to physically turn off my internet and shut the phone off to be able to focus on writing and to keep my attnetion of Celtx.

Oh well. I'll let it just chill for a couple of days while i'm working 48 hour film project this weekend and will dive into the painful world of rewrite next monday!

"THE TRAMP" (90 mins, Action/Thriller) - A wandering lone-wolf protects an escaped sex-slaved prostitute as they fight to expose a powerful human traffic gang.

BANG!

Oh and yea, I have THIS printed poster size right above my computer. Somehow that motivates me to write lol

the+muse+most+of+us+really+need.jpg

Congrats.

I guess I need to start turning off my Internet and phone too. Been having trouble lately.

Hopefully your success motivates us all.

Didn't you write this pretty quick?

Sorry to come along and burst your bubble but:

* Merentau (the other film made by the bloke who did The Raid) had a very similar plot

* one screenplay is nothing - it's likely full of holes! Try writing a few more screenplays, see for yourself how much you've improved after say, your 6th or 11th (and then try to get funding for one of those)

* join a screenwriters' site, network and get a buddy list of writers to trade notes with (this'll help you shake off the fundamental errors you're bound to have made unless you studied screenwriting in university for 4 years)

* be honest with yourself about your concepts and execution or you'll never go anywhere

Best of luck!

P.S. Congratulations on completing a 1st draft, most "writers" never even manage that.

I know, nothing beats that feeling, man. Congrats. :D
Oh and make sure to read over it lots of times.

"Screenwriting is like ironing. You move forward a little bit and go back and smooth things out."
-Paul Thomas Anderson

Congratulations!
Whata PITA!

60pg rough for a 90min+/- final feature product, eh?
Hmm...
Plenty of room for either the character development everyone pines away for or plenty of stereotypical indie film long cuts of characters staring & waiting between soulful filler shots of leaves/tall grass rustling in the wind and trash blowing down empty streets. <sigh> :(

Write, write, write...
Trudge, trudge, trudge...
Write, write, write...
Drink, drink, drink...
Write, write, write...

;) Good luck, Dima

CF: Oh yea, there will be plenty of revisions. Right after 48hfp though.. gotta keep my head clear for this weekend

VivaChiba: I'm sure there is a movie like that somewhere, but the story hasn't been told MY way yet ;)
And yes, the story will be probably full of holes since this is my first feature screenplay, but thats all good! I just want an excuse to shoot some cool sh*t that is longer than 7 minutes and slap my filthy name on it haha
I'm sure my writing will improve with years. Meanwhile I'll be writing however I can and shooting, rather than pondering on that "perfect screenplay" for 10+ years and no feature :-D

My bubble hasn't been burst. Its made out of Russian lead and filled with raging kick-ass that needs to be let out and destroy some movie screens ;)

Thank you rayw!
Its a stinking pile of poop right now and needs a ton of work..
long cuts of characters staring & waiting between soulful filler shots of leaves/tall grass rustling in the wind and trash blowing down empty streets

If i'll have that sort of crap in this movie - i'm buying u and CF a plane ticket to Seattle so you can hunt me down and do a public beating of cosmic proportions.

If i'll have that sort of crap in this movie - i'm buying u and CF a plane ticket to Seattle so you can hunt me down and do a public beating of cosmic proportions.
It'll go something like this:

squeal-like-a-rabbit.gif

Butt no one will be laughing. :yes::no::grumpy:

FWIW, on another tab I have the outline on a spreadsheet of a ten character scifi horror feature that I've pounded out to 99m/1hr39m line descriptions of events.
I'm getting sick of looking at it.

I start at the top and try to read down the mutilated grammar sentence fragments without feeling the need to "fix" something or adjust the logical flow of events, A-B-C-D-Etc.
I try.
When I can quit fiddle-f#cking around with it I'll add a line between each minute and add another layer of detail.
Then I gotta read down the whole 198lines until I've stopped "fixing" things before I even start my rough draft.
Ugh.

I'm sick of reading it.
I'd rather watch it - and I am, in my head, over and over and over again and again.
Ugh.

I gotta keep coming back over here and elsewhere to let the latent memory fade, otherwise events and roles all bleed together. :grrr:

Last edited:
Back