Finding a good acting teacher

I live in LA and I've been looking for a good teacher can anyone give me some advice on how to find a really good teacher or if you know of one I would appriciate it.

Google?

I'm not trying to be a smartass. I just imagined if you searched for that on Google you'd at the very least get an idea of where to move from there.

I would assume you'd want to be really careful with something like that. There's probably a hell of a lot of con artists and deranged flakes, especially for something like acting teachers in L.A.

Last edited:
Find all the acting teachers in your area. Do a little sluething on your own, and try and get online feedback about them. Once you've got a handful of 'potentials', set up an 'audit' for the class. Every acting class will allow you to sit in for free on one session...do this until you find a teacher that meshes well with you.

Also ask around...other actors may know. You can also try www.backstage.com and post on the forums there, or search for 'acting teacher' strings that talk about specific teachers.

It's important you mesh well with your teacher...and make sure you stay away from teachers that don't want you to talk about the class with anyone else...that's a red flag. Some teachers run more of a cult than an acting class...so don't fall prey to those people.

Good luck.

All I can do is reiterate what Michael said:

You live in Los Angeles. Every thrid person you see is
an actor. You must know a lot of actors. Ask the actors
you know.

And then audit classes.

Back