FINALLY ready to start doing this!

I'm buying a Canon Vixia HF20 today or tomorrow and will just need to get my comp set up to edit.

Since the camera will be $650+lenses, tripods, etc, I think my software budget is going to be low. I don't need super advanced transitions and things but I would prefer unlimited tracks and something aesthetically similar to AXP, since that is what I learned on.

System specs:

Windows 7
Core i7 920 Quad 2.8ghz
6gb OCZ Gold DDR3 ram
MSI X58 Pro-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 video card

So, I have about maybe ~$500 max to spend on NLE software. Any suggestions? It needs to edit HD obviously, I think it's AVC

Ok, having major issues with the Canon :( I can't get the bundled ImageMixer software to work on W7. I was finally able to import through windows itself, but I'm also having trouble ejecting the camera from the computer. Will I have similar problems with Pinnacle?

I don't understand what you mean by having trouble ejecting the camera from the computer.

I have a Canon HF10, I just import using windows (I don't see a point in using the bundled software), I think it works better that way.

Fiddler,
Drop the canon software, uninstall it and buy cineform neoscene. It will make EVERYTHING easier. You can download it and try it out for 7 days free. its a $100 (from VideoGuys)

All it does is re encode the .mts files, but it does it VERY well and makes them work like SD files in your NLE's etc.

Fiddler,
Drop the canon software, uninstall it and buy cineform neoscene. It will make EVERYTHING easier. You can download it and try it out for 7 days free. its a $100 (from VideoGuys)

All it does is re encode the .mts files, but it does it VERY well and makes them work like SD files in your NLE's etc.

I was considering getting that anyway due to its ability to reinterpret the footage to true 1080/24p (at least that's the way I understood it worked)

Yeah it does that, but it is also doing some other magic to make the files much more computer friendly... :)

Me, I don't get the love of 24p. I guess from being a PC gamer, In enamored with the quest for Higher frame rates, not lower! Sometimes when I go to big screen movies, I see a too fast pan that just looks bad to me, jittery and ugly.. you have to move at the right speed to avoid that.. seems like a limitation, not a benefit..

I think its marketing hype, seems everyone wants 24p cinema like look without actually doing cinema like things.. lol.. If you think about the software that is on these cameras they are getting pretty close to having a Magic Bullet LOOKS engine built right into the camera! Is this good or bad? Who knows..

Yeah it does that, but it is also doing some other magic to make the files much more computer friendly... :)

Me, I don't get the love of 24p. I guess from being a PC gamer, In enamored with the quest for Higher frame rates, not lower! Sometimes when I go to big screen movies, I see a too fast pan that just looks bad to me, jittery and ugly.. you have to move at the right speed to avoid that.. seems like a limitation, not a benefit..

I think its marketing hype, seems everyone wants 24p cinema like look without actually doing cinema like things.. lol.. If you think about the software that is on these cameras they are getting pretty close to having a Magic Bullet LOOKS engine built right into the camera! Is this good or bad? Who knows..

I use to feel the same way about frame rates until I bought my 58" Panny V10 which is the first tv thatI've owned that properly handles 1080/24p sources (96hz). Now I can't stand to watch movies with pulldown activated. I hate 120hz handleing of 24p though because LCD's usually create a fake frame to compensate for motion blur, but my 96hz plasma is BEAUTIFUL.

So I assume that this new file type would be easier to edit in Pinnacle. Does the conversion affect the video quality? I plan to be burning onto blu rays and uploading online fwiw and will actually be doing cinematic work.

Last edited:
Ok, so things have changed quite a bit in the last few weeks. I returned the HF20 and purchased instead a Panasonic GH1, which I'm still waiting on to arrive. Avid MC4 works fine on my computer, it's just codec issues now, so it's an option again if I can find a way to import the GH1 AVCHD files into it and export in 1080/24p (which I don't know how to do, I have the academic MC4 so I don't have Squeeze or anything).

Anyone like Premiere for this? I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

I think cineform neoscene is still your answer to AVHCD files. Particularly if you want 24p conversion. As the codex is a OS thing, I think AVID or any NLE will support it, but I dont know..

hehehehe software budget? :P No need.
Ive saved myself over $5000 on software by downloading it.

No torrents just tricks.

Youtube "Vegas pro 9 for free" and garenteed you will get multiple videos showing how you can get this $600-$1000 program free.

The internet is the key.

Pinnacle's horrible software. 95% of those who use it and review it say how unstable it is, that it crashes a lot, is slow, etc.,. Basically, it's horrendous software (the interface is pretty ugly, too, in my opinion).

I see you managed to get Vegas somehow. That's what I was going to recommend; it's the best editing software you can get for a PC. It's stable, fast, and the chroma key ability it has is absolutely fantastic (even in the consumer version)!

Back