• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Filters

I recently purchased 3 filters for my Canon Xl2. UV, ND, and Polarizing filters. What is the difference between ND and Polarizing?

Either would help for reducing overall light, in your Q.

The polarisers I have are effectively ND2 strength, at any rate.

The really useful bit on the polariser, is how it can help reduce reflected light from surfaces like glass, water, etc.

Polarizers only really do anything on an arc described by the intersecting line rotating around the vector characterized by the line from the sun to the camera.... or:

point at the sun (don't look into it, that's bad for your retinas). Now extend your thumb at a 90 degree angle to your index finger. Turn wrist with index finger still pointing at the sun. If the camera points from where it is to anywhere in the sky pointed at by your thumb, you'll get full effect of the polarizer on the sky.

Basically the polarizer rejects scattered light (light that's bee reflected a bunch and no longer retains its cohesive directionality - like being directly from the light source to the subject). It will therefore also help get rid of reflections.

Now, if you're looking for something to dim the window in a house because it's blowing out before your talent, you only have 2 options. Make the subject brighter or make the window dimmer. You can get large sheets of ND gel to cover windows or just use a semi see through fabric like I do and blur the background slightly using various DoF tricks.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Will pointing the lense directly at the sun damage anything in my camera? I'm planning on shooting a sunrise from a balcony and I want to get the most beautiful shot possible...

Back