Filter Q - for "night" filming

What is the name of the filter that people use when they film in the day, to make it look like night? (More like late dusk in reality)

Is it any different from a blue-tinted glass filter?

And are there any special tips on using it correctly?

Ta 8)

day for night filters

I think it's usually done with a dark blue filter. You could try a cirular polarizer, though, which would deepen the shadows without effecting the color.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the sky is not equally polarized (if you plan on shooting and wide shots etc). The lower you drop on the horizon the darker the sky will stand out.

I'd say deepen the shadows as much as possible and then play with color etc in post. Best to start as clean as possible and then tweak it from there.

I don’t know if it’ll work, but try shooting it under normal conditions and in post, drop the brightness, raise the contrast, and increase the blue saturation. It should look night-like but still maintain the highlight details. I don’t know if it’ll work, but if it does, let me know.

I have a problem when shooting day for night: it shows too much background. If you have an exterior scene, you can see everything in the background. At night, visual perception decreases with distance (assuming no exterior light - and then those show up as pools in the blackness), it does not maintain a constant low level as far as you can see.

May I ask why are you shooting DFN anyway? Why not just shoot at night with lights? Of course, I may have answered my own question because those big lights can cost a lot, but I was just wondering.

Nipped down to Ritz over the weekend, but they only had ND ones... weasels.

Trying to use DFN to get that certain "look" that a lot of shows from the 70's & 80's had, when faking night. I'm throwing every campy stereotype I can think of into this thing... and this is a great one. 8)

Might be a handy trick to know how to do also, when doing things at parks that "close" at dusk.

Back