Filmmaking on an Unemployment Budget

So for the last few years I been trying to direct a film that I have written. Something always happen that made me put it off to next year-Majority money problems. Once I found a decent job-the dream of directing a film kind of faded away-I was making good money...I was enjoying life. Or so I thought. Finally I decided in November 2010 I was going to directed this film. Fasr forward to January. I got the cast. Got the Crew, and a little money saved up. Since I was planning to shoot in April I knew I had a few paychecks until then where I use some to increase the production value, and also pay for what I need to keep my standard of living. Well Mid January I was Let go from my job. I was so upset. Not only did this put a dent in my pocket..But now I couldn't do the film..I filed for Unemployment. I didn't think I would get it as I knew my former job practice. But I did..And in April I directed my film using my Canon Gl2 help from my Audio Engineer cousin, A couple of local actors, A house that my family own, and about 600 from unemployment checks. Now some peope may think I was crazy to do it..Some people are like you should have never done it instead save that money. But I knew if I didn't directed it now-It would had never been done. My current situation has somewhat improve. The job market is not that great-Numerous Interviews, numerous pyramid schemes, etc. etc. I finally found a job-just to bring some money in the house, and use towards the marketing of this film. I still have hopes to directing more films, and showcasing it at film festivals-No matter what happens, I'm very happy to accomplish something that was at one point so impossible to conceive-Directing films from the depth of unemployement.

You did the right thing. If you're young, money shouldn't be an issue. You'll find a job quicker then us old guys.

That's how I made my first movie. I was hired for a 3 month stint that turned into a 2.5 year job. They kept saying another month and we'll be through. For almost 6 months I kept saying "Shooting's going to start" and had to keep putting it off. "George can you stay for just a few more weeks?" I said "Sure". I sat in an empty trailer for a few weeks doing absolutely nothing for 8 hours a day. I was literally the last person off the power plant lot.

I shot Us Sinners while on unemployment. Of course I was searching very hard for employment. But, in my spare time I shot the movie. :yes:

Those were the days when I only unemployed when I wanted to be.

I am on the dole myself, and spending all of my time, every day, making or writing movies. I've been a government-funded filmmaker -- collecting maximum unemployment -- for almost a year-and-a-half now. It's pretty sweet.

Crap -- I have an interview coming up. Ah, well.

I just went to lunch after a bit of preliminary camera prep today with the DP and two gents from the studio that owns the gear. We were talking about office environments, and HR and such for who knows what reason.

The DP started talking about his lack of experience with the cubicle world and prefaced it by describing his career choice as "self-unemployed." And this is a union DP who's shot some well known TV and lesser well known films. I loved the term, personally.

Moral of the story: Do it.

You've come to the right forum. Money is nice. But you don't need that much to get a decent film made.

Good luck my friend!

I must be the only person in the world that actually likes working a 9 - 5 job. It's nice being on unemployment and making movies. But, I actually like being told what to do for 8 hours a day. Plus, I'm really good at it. That's always a plus.

I must be the only person in the world that actually likes working a 9 - 5 job. It's nice being on unemployment and making movies. But, I actually like being told what to do for 8 hours a day. Plus, I'm really good at it. That's always a plus.

I hate being told what to do..I rather be my own boss. Believe me, I would love a stable job. Even if it's just as a working director.

I agree.....kinda. I don't really get told what to do, but I do like having a steady job.

Also, I would not want to go through the hassle of trying to stay on unemployment, while trying to make movies. Not to mention its irresponsible citizenship.

Well since I am only 16 and I fund everything pretty much myself, I work a part time job that I use the money from to save for my car/insurance/gas and for filmmaking. I have to stretch minimum wage pretty far but I also live with my mom who has a legal obligation to pay for my clothes and food so there goes a huge expense. I'm not saying I have it as hard as anyone else or even hard at all but I feel wrong begging my mom for money for my hobbies so I just work and spend my own money when I am not in school. I mean come on, shes already paying 2400 dollars for me to go to Italy and France with my school's travel club :) I may take some shots there to have stock footage. When I want to set up a scene in italy or france, I will have my own free footage to use and I can just film locally with stock footage between scenes :P

Not to mention its irresponsible citizenship.

I can mostly get behind that. I don't see a problem with utilizing the system into which one has paid (in the case of CA, anyone who gets a paycheck pays into their UI insurance). I do think there should be a hard maximum time limit on unemployment benefits, without possibility of extension.

But I also think that time period should allow for flexibility for those in the midst of a legitimate career change, or some other attempt to educate themselves and better their position.

I know of some folks who have somehow gamed the system and been collecting UI for several years. That's just laziness, IMO, and the system needs changing to prevent it.

When I got laid off and began this freelance journey I had a modest severance package to start with, and did collect UI for part of my available claim period. I had the option for extensions but chose not to take them. I also was extremely diligent about reporting all of my income during that time period - which I also know many people do not do.

It's unfortunate that some folks game the system, because it makes it more difficult for people who honestly need the assistance.

But I also think that time period should allow for flexibility for those in the midst of a legitimate career change, or some other attempt to educate themselves and better their position.

I know of some folks who have somehow gamed the system and been collecting UI for several years. That's just laziness, IMO, and the system needs changing to prevent it.

When I was legitimately unemployed and couldn't find a job, two things happened.

1. I was told if I had experience in fields (I've done everything office related) that I could go back to school and have it paid for. So, I've always been great working with accounting and book keeping. I wasn't eligible because I never actually held one of those positions. It didn't matter that I did all the work. My title was never bookkeeper so they wouldn't pay (over $4000 eligible). If I wanted to go back to school to become advanced in MS Software they'd have gladly paid for that. I'm already good with those programs.

2. When I really needed to find a job, I took the first one that came along. But, I took a job in a copper manufacturing plant. I was 49 years old , I'd sat behind a desk over half my life, and I was now lifting rods that weighed over a hundred pounds each. It was back breaking work. But, you have to do what you have to do.

So, it does annoy me when I see the news and these people who were making a hundred grand a year refuse to take work that barely pays minimum wage. They're not making that much more on unemployment, and they want their benefits extended. A job is a job.

I can mostly get behind that. I don't see a problem with utilizing the system into which one has paid (in the case of CA, anyone who gets a paycheck pays into their UI insurance). I do think there should be a hard maximum time limit on unemployment benefits, without possibility of extension.

When I got laid off and began this freelance journey I had a modest severance package to start with, and did collect UI for part of my available claim period. I had the option for extensions but chose not to take them. I also was extremely diligent about reporting all of my income during that time period - which I also know many people do not do.

It's unfortunate that some folks game the system, because it makes it more difficult for people who honestly need the assistance.

I agree. Utilizing and abusing are two different things. I've been lucky enough to have never needed to use the system, but if i need to I will.

When I was legitimately unemployed and couldn't find a job, two things happened.

1. I was told if I had experience in fields (I've done everything office related) that I could go back to school and have it paid for. So, I've always been great working with accounting and book keeping. I wasn't eligible because I never actually held one of those positions. It didn't matter that I did all the work. My title was never bookkeeper so they wouldn't pay (over $4000 eligible). If I wanted to go back to school to become advanced in MS Software they'd have gladly paid for that. I'm already good with those programs.

2. When I really needed to find a job, I took the first one that came along. But, I took a job in a copper manufacturing plant. I was 49 years old , I'd sat behind a desk over half my life, and I was now lifting rods that weighed over a hundred pounds each. It was back breaking work. But, you have to do what you have to do.

So, it does annoy me when I see the news and these people who were making a hundred grand a year refuse to take work that barely pays minimum wage. They're not making that much more on unemployment, and they want their benefits extended. A job is a job.

Well when I was on unemployment i had a job opportunity-But it was less than I was getting paid in Unemployment-It didn't make any sense to stop it for a minimum wage position-and wasn't guarantee 30+ hours. It didn't make sense..

Back