Filming Dialogue While walking

The next scene in my movie calls for the characters to talk while walking down the street. The problem is i don't know how to film such a scene with one camera without making it look choppy.

Does anyone have any tips on how to film such a scene without it seeming choppy?

So i shouldn't bother attempting to use more than just that one shot? I mean, i've never tried something like it before. Would a long two shot be able to hold interest as long as the conversation itself is interesting?

So i shouldn't bother attempting to use more than just that one shot? I mean, i've never tried something like it before. Would a long two shot be able to hold interest as long as the conversation itself is interesting?
I like it better, but that's my style and preference. Figure out the look for your film. You can always punch in though. Just shoot a master and two close-ups.

I haven't yet filmed something like you're talking about (but will be soon) and I would go with indietalk with the two shot...if you have real emotional dialogue going on where you want a few closeups it shouldn't be hard to edit in your closeups especially if you know before you start the first shoot on the scene where you are likely going to ultimately switch to closeups during editing because your script super/continuity person can know to be paying extra close attention to pacing and location of your actors during certain key lines of dialogue.

depending on how long the scene is and the content of scene, emotion, etc the two shot may very well be all you need though

as for stability of camera a dolly and track would be best but if you have it available

Ok so now that i know how to shot it the next problem i've realized is.

Making a homemade dolly.

Any real simple suggestions? I have skateboards and skooters in my house so any suggestions involving them are best.

I had a sudden brain dropping just now. You could use a large tricycle. I'm not sure if anyone has ever seen one, but they're basically regular bicycle but with two wheels on the back with a sizable axle and cart for holding things in the middle. It shouldn't take too much difficulty to attach a camera to one....I think you could build the setup for well under $200

tricycle

I actually have a tricycle...or mancycle as I like to call it. I put a large "box" on the back wheels and sit in it while my "dolly grip" drives it. keep the wheels and joints oiled up properly and it won't make a peep.

speaking from experience, you don't want to mechanically attach the camera to a wheeled dolly. You want to sit on the dolly, holding the camera, while someone moves it. That will isolate the camera from the vibration and bumps coming through the frame of the vehicle. Trust me, I did lots of testing.

Doug

speaking from experience, you don't want to mechanically attach the camera to a wheeled dolly. You want to sit on the dolly, holding the camera, while someone moves it. That will isolate the camera from the vibration and bumps coming through the frame of the vehicle. Trust me, I did lots of testing.

Doug
With PVC track, agreed, but with regular tracks and shims you can get it rock solid.

You could also rent (or make your own) doorway dolly. I used one before but it wasnt very good because the ground we were pulling the dolly on wasn't smooth to begin with. So if the ground is smooth - its a good option.

However, since you said their walking down the street - well lets just say i dont know that many roads that are perfectly smooth.

Back