Filmaking equitment.

I am want to shoot a 30 minute short movie, but don't really know what equitment I need and what online stores to get it from. Can anyone help?:huh:

I, too, would be interested in knowing the feature that was
made with that camera. Even one not released yet.

I'm also interested in attachments. Can you input audio for
a mic with that camera? I assume it doesn't have XLR inputs
so what does it have? What about outputting video for the
monitor? RCA or BNC ports? Does it have HDMI out? Is the
7D comfortable and easy to stabilize while handheld?

I'm still having difficulty wrapping my head around using a
DSLR still camera for movie production. I've seen the footage
posted on various websites so I know it can look great. My
concern is the use during production. I am so used to having
all the controls at my fingertips and being able to ride focus
while shootong that even small cameras cause problems for
me. But I know that beginners don't have those expectations
with a camera.

the 7D has a 1/8" mic jack.. just like most consumer cameras with a mic input, so a beachtek or juicedlink will let you use XLR mics.

I know they make some follow focus rigs with rails and matte box and whatnot for them. At least the indian company sells that kind of setup on ebay.

Here's a couple photos from one of their ebay listings:
m-1.jpg

pic-1.jpg

sunshade%20kit%20pic.jpg

In the last image you can see they're using HDMI for the monitor, and I believe the camera shown is the 5D, so I assume the 7D would also have HDMI output.

So that leaves me with the question: Without a rig like that, is
the 7D (or 5D) a realistic option for a beginner?

Assuming - for the sake of discussion - that the full set up goes
above the price range of a beginner and most of the other
equipment will be DIY, how is this camera for general movie
production? Say a weekend a month to make short films?

Better in the long run than, say, the HV40, the JVC HM400, the
Canon HG21? Is the stock lens (which brings the total price to
$1,900) that much better than a $1,200 to $2,000 video camera?
Is a DSLR more user friendly than most video cams?

Beeble - did you have a rig like that when shooting?

I'm seriously thinking of giving the 7D a test run and I won't have
all those accessories.

I think all you'd really "need" would be a mic, interface to connect the mic, and boom..

So, roughly another $500 or so to get acceptable quality for those, and for under $2500 you've got a camera that will shoot full 1080p24 footage with the ability for shallow depth of field that you'd only get with a camcorder by adding a 35mm adapter and its related accessories.

The other bonus is that you wind up with a nice still camera too. lol

Dunno that I'd want one personally, but it does seem to cover several issues that a lot of people want to address in one small package. Namely the 24p and shallow DoF

Since you are familiar with the camera, do you have any advice on microphones, tripods, rigs, etc?

I'm mostly using the equipment that I already had for my DVX100. Your existing tripods, shoulder mounts, mics, cranes, etc should be more than adequate with a few adjustments.

The only equipment we've had to add was a Zoom H4N recorder since the 7D only has a mini jack input for sound and has AGC that can't be turned off.

Say a weekend a month to make short films?

The speed and compactness of the camera make it, IMO, an ideal option for the kind of production you're talking about. That's essentially what our short film was. The camera is VERY sensitive, meaning you can get away with a lot less light than you'd need for the DVX100, for example. Plus, the incognito factor means being able to pop into a Starbucks and grab some quick, amazing looking shots.

Is a DSLR more user friendly than most video cams?

User friendly? I guess that depends on your meaning. What you're able to do is shoot to a HUGE sensor with incredible sensitivity and DOF for a really low price. Those other cameras require adapters and rigs to get that quality of image. And they still won't have the low-light capability.

You don't NEED any of that stuff any more than you'd need it for a DVX100 or HV40. And what the camera lacks, like autofocus, is stuff you won't need anyway unless you're shooting event photography.

Like I said, the only additonal equipment I'd recommend is the Zoom H4N for recording audio.

Beeble - did you have a rig like that when shooting?

No. Our matte box didn't fit, so we went without one. Ditto our follow-focus. The FF is a nice, but we just used the focus ring, which on our lens is nice and fat and relatively easy to use.

Other than that, there was no real difference in necessary man-power or equipment than we normally use. But whatever trade-offs there are were WELL WORTH the quality of the images we got with the camera.

Back