Film score question

How do low-budget indie filmmakers afford a score for their movies? It seems it would be expensive to hire a composer for a full-length feature? Or do they just use generic sound effects?

I have seen postings from lots of film scorer composers will to score an indie film for free or cheap, work with the budget, in order to gain experience and recognition so as to build their credentials. Check that forum area here on indie talk or do some strategic googling and you will find such flm scorers.

I think a film score is a huge part of a good film, just mute the audio when watching a film to see what no film score sounds like.

How do low-budget indie filmmakers afford a score for their movies? It seems it would be expensive to hire a composer for a full-length feature? Or do they just use generic sound effects?

You're right. It can be expensive. so indie filmmakers find all kinds of ways.

Some save, or raise, more money.
Some use, or buy, royality fee music.
Some find willing composers who need the experience and credit.

Hi there,

I would seriously advise against using the libraries. Obviously, I'm a composer and so I am biased, however, hear me out.

Yes, you get some pretty good sounding music in the libraries but what you will not get is input from a person that feels music. I'm not suggesting that you don't!!!! But it is always a little bit different for anyone.

Second: pacing, the pacing of your film is very very personal and so should the music be and follow the pacing of your film. If you use ready-to-go music you'll be cutting your film to the music and thereby have a totally different result from what you wanted to begin with.

Third: The process of listening to someone elses ideas is crucial for any filmmaker starting out as it will help you focus on your film from a completely different perspective and open up angels that you didn't think of before. Don't deny yourself this experience.

I agree having a composer work on your film is the first time you will somewhat lose control of what the film does, but this is normal and you should learn to deal with it creatively.

You will also build up vocabulary so the next time you speak to a composer will be much more efficient than the first.

Good luck and best
Hans

PS: yes, I'm plugging my stuff now too:

http://www.hanshafner.de

Not sure if I was clear in my earlier posting, but I definitely think a composer and film scorer, i.e. a human, is much preferred over libraries, music loops. Only when a film scorer can not be found or can not be afforded in a film's budget would I think it necessary to resort to royalty free film loops. But a human composer / scorer would be my first choice most certainly.

Hi there, I would seriously advise against using the libraries. Obviously, I'm a composer and so I am biased, however, hear me out....

I agree with you, wonshu. On every point.

When I can afford it, I always use a composer. For my movie "dark crimes"
I used musicians, too. When I can afford that I will do it again.

However, many of us are in a situation where we just can't afford it. I find
myself in that situation more often than not. And my movies suffer because of it.
I wish I could always afford a composer. They are vital aspect of the process.

Even on my extremely low budget feature, I made sure to set aside a pretty good budget for my composer, as that would be an important element that would raise the production value of the overall film. And it did. In fact, one of our tracks was recently featured on a music site as their single of the day. A contribute a hefty portion of our success getting a distributor to the professionalism of the score.

I agree with you as well, Wonshu.

It also, depending on where you live and what sort of music you want, might help to be aware of the indie music scene.

I know a couple of people who got some of their soundtracks from really great local bands in the area.

Thanks for the support guys.

Musicians have lived in a buyers market for, well, forever and it's really weird as the effect that music has is so universally felt.

I'm not complaining. I'm actually glad that you guys are aware of the advantage of an original score. Gives me hope for my future... ;)

Oh, and ampersand: the tip with the local band musicians is excellent, although song soundtracks can potentially be problematic, but that depends heavily, of course, on your film!!! It may work better even than an underscore type score.

Best
Hans

Your last name is not Zimmer by chance ;) I think being a film scorer would be a great profession, alas I am only an amateur musician / guitarist, I envy you types that can compose and score film. With the internet it seems it is a profession that can also be done at a distance from wherever, a very independent flexible profession. (see special features on Rodriguez's "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" for inspirational material about collaborating on film scoring over the net, very cool). Best of luck!

Thanks for the support guys. Musicians have lived in a buyers market for, well, forever and it's really weird as the effect that music has is so universally felt. I'm not complaining. I'm actually glad that you guys are aware of the advantage of an original score. Gives me hope for my future... ;)
...Best Hans

Hi there,
I agree having a composer work on your film is the first time you will somewhat lose control of what the film does, but this is normal and you should learn to deal with it creatively.

It must be a touch unnerving, but don't worry about it - the composer's only aim is to write music the director likes and finds appropriate to the mood of the scene, so the composer shouldn't push the film in any direction you didn't want it to. So far as cost goes, there are loads of freebies out there in students, people who want experience and folk who do it for fun (or all three) so you should be able to get it for little or nada. I don't charge for stuff as I need the credit.

Obligatory web site link: www.davidbenshannon.co.uk.

Last edited:
Back