FILM SCHOOL

So i'm currently looking at schools and I was just wondering if could get some feedback from people WHO WENT TO FILM SCHOOL. Im looking at schools on the east coast but i want to end up transferring to either NYU or Emerson. I'm just looking for someone to tell me what film school is like maybe give me some do's and don'ts.

So i'm currently looking at schools and I was just wondering if could get some feedback from people WHO WENT TO FILM SCHOOL. Im looking at schools on the east coast but i want to end up transferring to either NYU or Emerson. I'm just looking for someone to tell me what film school is like maybe give me some do's and don'ts.

I'm in my third semester at The Academy of Art in San Francisco. So far I've really enjoyed it and learned A LOT. The biggest advantage is the staff and their experience and insight that you can't get from any textbook.

One of my current professors, Ian Corson, has directed a feature film, Malicious, starring Molly Ringwald, he's written and sold three screenplays ("Starting Five" to Paramount Pictures, "Bloodline" to Warner Bros and "Body Snatcher" for A&E). He's also written the New York Times bestselling novel, The Griff and has directed shows for the the Discovery Channel. I've also had professors who have worked at Pixar and Disney.

The school isn't textbook focused. You're always doing projects with rigorous deadlines. In my first semester, I had a camera in my hand the first week and had a short film due within 16 weeks. You edit raw material from Law & Order and form scenes from a real episode. You pitch your story ideas to working producers and develop your screenplays. You form production schedules, budgets with real numbers and produce a student film from conception to completion. And you do all this with the help, advice and knowledge of accomplished film makers and professionals. You also have access to some amazing equipment that you can do site projects with. They have a huge warehouse of cameras, lighting equipment, sound equipment, etc.

This school is pretty expensive though. My first semester came out to around $5,000 after grants and no-interest loans. Without the no-interest loans, it's about $8,000.

I think film school is worth a semester's try if it's affordable for you. While you're studying you can use their equipment to make your own side projects that you would've otherwise had to buy/rent for a lot of money.

Dan, below are my two cents and nothing more. pay only a little attention to it.

I think you want to be a filmmaker because you want to tell stories. Film school will teach you 'how' to tell those stories, but it will not make you a better storyteller. What will make you a good storyteller is how much you know about other people, so that when you write about something or make a film about something, other people will be able to relate. The way you learn about those things is simply by reading or taking classes in non film related subjects.

You don't necessarily have to learn about completely different cultures or countries or languages. Try reading up on the American South for instance. It's a whole different way of living from New England. But it's interesting as hell. It'll give you a different perspective. You will add it to your world view, and then the stories you tell will be somehow richer.

My point is, major in something else, literature, history, social studies, whatever. But maybe do it in a school that has a good film program. So that all your electives can be film. Something like that. Actually, psychology might be the best major for a filmmaker :)

Or, go to a school like DRC's, which actually has professionals with connections teaching you things. That might end up being more useful than any book you ever read.

See I told you not to pay attention to what I say.
Good luck choosing a school.
Aveek

I've been researching film schools for what seems like years now, but after talking to some industry professionals, it's better to spend that money to simply go out and FILM, than to spend $60k-80k in a 2-4 year school. Obviously it depends on what you want do with your career (I'm more interested in working behind the scenes as the video editor or camera operator), but most of them say that clients (and potentially job offers) want to see what you have personally FILMED, not what you learned in film school.

I could be 100% wrong, but I personally would rather put 5k into some nice equipment than to spend that in one semester at one school. Why not just go out and teach yourself with trial and error?

But then again...I'm not in the film industry.... and I'm not a professional.

Yet ;)

maybe give me some do's and don'ts.

Don't.

(I may not be qualified to answer that because I didn't go to film school but have a feature film whereas I know of two people who went to two prestigious California film schools and because of techies and gear freaks, one is teaching high school (no feature film) and the other is still trying to land a paying feature film gig (living off the spouse).

Make a film instead.

Good luck though.

:cool:

I mean everyone who goes to film school doesn't have to make a great feature film. Also i'm pretty interested in directing music videos im sure there is a good career in that for me because i love music and film. bam.

I mean everyone who goes to film school doesn't have to make a great feature film. Also i'm pretty interested in directing music videos im sure there is a good career in that for me because i love music and film. bam.

Hey man, if you got the money to spend, then go for it. I wish I could afford and get into UCLA's film school, but it just isn't going to happen in my lifetime. But like I said, I would rather spend that time out on the field, filming with nice equipment, than getting into debt for $80k that I have to work off everyday for years to come.

you can learn by just doing it, just go to review and learn some things you didn't learn before, either that or it's a waste. but it's nice to have a diploma saying that you can do film making.

The good thing about film school is that you meet people you might work with in the future...
In Bulgaria, where, the film industry is funded by the state, you have to go to film school (NATFA) in order to be entitled to the state funding...
I don't know which is better (to be funded by a Hollywood studio or the state of Bulgaria :lol:), but the art of making movies is taken by the banks... they bought the film industry and we are the victims... Good luck!

The good thing about film school is that you meet people you might work with in the future...
In Bulgaria, where, the film industry is funded by the state, you have to go to film school (NATFA) in order to be entitled to the state funding...

I don't even speak Bulganese, so this is out of the question. :D

I don't speak Bulganese either ;)
But I know a lot of things about a lot of cultures around the world :)

Yes you do. Glad you got the joke. I couldn't show up on a forum in Europe and contribute anything. Many say I don't even contribute anything to this forum. ;)

I'm glad you're here and I look forward to exchanging ideas for a long time to come.

Back