Film Business Plan Online Course.

I'm thinking of registering for this online course on business plans and financing for independent films.

Film Finance & Business Plan Accelerator, from Film Specific
http://www.filmfinanceaccelerator.com/#intro

But I'm only thinking about it. $300 is a fair sum of money even if it is the early bird fee, discounted from nearly $500.

Does anyone here have experience taking such courses, especially from this same organization? Was it worth the money? Or would you recommend I just buy some of the books available on the subject?

Also, are there other related courses or workshops you would recommend (either online or conventional & in-person)?

One other thing - what she has told me has stuck in my mind all these years. There are no easy ways to finding the money, and don't fantasize about a tycoon coming to you with the cash and letting you do your own thing. That's in her book, and, if you read it, as I have, you'll get a great reality check.

I know I have.

Does anyone here have experience taking such courses, especially from this same organization?

Stacey (the owner of Film Specific) is rather good and knowledgeable on the topic of finance and distribution. Lately she's been a little relaxed with her material. Don't take that the wrong way, it's still good information.

Was it worth the money? Or would you recommend I just buy some of the books available on the subject?

Worth the money: Without a doubt yes. I've read a lot and done a lot of courses on the subject of finance and distribution. Her material has been the best and most in-depth that I've come across.

or? I would recommend AND ALSO buy some books and other courses on the subject. Film financing is a rather complex and fickle beast. There are many paths to success (and failure) in film finance. It's good to get a broad view on the subject so you're prepared to succeed.... or at a dead minimum, prepared to avoid the pitfalls that aren't obvious to most.

Reading a book would be a good starting point, and, very often, reading a series of books would get a newbie up to speed. But feedback from professionals in the business is also critical, because they can provide information not found in books.

A newbie should start by reading those books, then, with that information, get ideas from those professionals.

I"m sure you could read a book for $30 that would teach you essentially the same thing.

Which book are you suggesting?

Reading a book would be a good starting point, and, very often, reading a series of books would get a newbie up to speed. But feedback from professionals in the business is also critical, because they can provide information not found in books.

A newbie should start by reading those books, then, with that information, get ideas from those professionals.

Very well said!

I'll second this. But that's only a sad beast to people who haven't had the reality check that being a director isn't the only part of filmmaking.

Ha ha, yes. Another aspect of the problem is that film people tend to want to focus on getting the film made, before focusing on making the money back. In other words, financing tends to be more important than marketing/distribution to them.

Looking at the course in the OP, it focuses on financing and business planning, which is the wrong focus, but that's what will sell I guess. I think the course creator is a genius, but not for the reason customers think. LOL

And thanks, Sweetie. I'm glad to be here!

The best course I ever came across was by Jason Brubaker, his distribution course. It's the bomb and much cheaper than the course you're considering. I'm not Jason, nor do I even know him personally at all, but after spending $97 and learning a ton, it's totally worth it.

http://www.howtosellyourmovie.com/s..._medium=banner2&utm_campaign=filmdistribution

Thanks, chris. I'll look into the course you mentioned. And thank you, everyone else, for your input.

Back