• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Fight Scene (Second Attempt)

I saw your first fight-scene. This is a definite improvement, especially in the editing department. You've got some really nice shots, and like I said, I think you've cut it together really well. Also, those dudes do a pretty good job selling the fight.

The one critique I'd offer is that I really think you need to follow the 180-rule. There are times when the 180-rule doesn't matter, and there are times when the line of action is almost non-existent, because it keeps moving all over the place. But in a mano-a-mano duel, there is a pretty clear line of action, and I think it really helps your audience stay focused if you stay on one side of it.

Cheers!

I saw your first fight-scene. This is a definite improvement, especially in the editing department. You've got some really nice shots, and like I said, I think you've cut it together really well. Also, those dudes do a pretty good job selling the fight.

The one critique I'd offer is that I really think you need to follow the 180-rule. There are times when the 180-rule doesn't matter, and there are times when the line of action is almost non-existent, because it keeps moving all over the place. But in a mano-a-mano duel, there is a pretty clear line of action, and I think it really helps your audience stay focused if you stay on one side of it.

Cheers!

Yes, I broke the 180-rule this time, but I will follow it on next projects. I thought it won't be a big deal if actors have different colors, but thanks for the call :D

Last edited:
Solid improvement.

+1 on CF's critique. If you're unfamiliar with the 180-rule, research it. Once you're comfortable with it, and you know it inside out, why it's there, and what it does for the flow/transition, then put it to use. So many people fall back into the trap once they're back on set, so be thorough.

It's great to see when a film-maker absorbs the help given, and takes it onboard immediately. Brilliant attitude, man.

I think this fight scene is pretty good. The editing was really well done, and the sound really sells the fight.

I could be wrong, but it seems like you guys don't actually know any martial arts. Your movements are KIIINDA sloppy here and there. A good fight scene has really sharp and crisp movements. And it takes years to learn how to fight like that. For you guys, I think you can achieve that same effect by just sticking to things you can do. Like punches and low kicks, you know, just basic fighting moves. This way, people can't tell you don't actually know martial arts.

Or, you can just do a brawl style fight, where the character just beat down on each other in pure rage.

I think I watched/commented on your first video but I can never be sure...

Anyhow I liked video two. I agree with Cracker and PTP that you need to adhere to the 180 degree rule because, especially in a fight scene with quick cuts like that, it's very disorientating.

But I guess you're looking for feedback about the actual fight and I'd say that it looks good. The choreography is all really neat, certainly better than the last video if I remember correctly.

I think the main issue I raised before was the sound FX and it's still an issue here. I presume that you didn't use any of the on cam mic's soun? Either way at the moment you have to levels of sound: music and fight FX. As a result the sound fx really jump out and sound unnatural because there's no atmospheric noise to give them context. I also recommend that you stop using the stock sound effects that you've used in the last two videos and start recording your own foley. They just don't sound right and remind me of the re-dubbed Asian martial arts films.

When you flip someone over there's no massive 'whoosh!' sound, likewise punches don't make the same noises that they make there. Mute the video, get a mic and record a little bit of foley.

If you want to know what it will sound like I'm sure someone on here (possibly myself) would be willing to take that video and just apply some quick sound effects, just so that I can convince you that it will sound better if you go with more realistic sound cues.

But it's good work and steady improvement :)

Great job. :)
Your actors sold it pretty well.. And you had some good shots.
The video kept on like "lagging" for a second for me... It may have to do with your file type/compression? I'd look into it... It's a bit annoying.

I've got nothing to add to what these guys have said besides the sound effects.
I think they were too dominating... Tone'em down a bit maybe?
I don't know... I'm just an amateur. :)

Back