Few Starter Questions

Right now i just love taking interesting shots and playing around with cameras. I recently won a commercial contest at my school, and that inspired me to get back into film making. i use to have a minidv sony handheld, which i loved playing around with, but it broke and all i have now is a mini flip camera i won from the contest.

i was looking into getting prosumer video cameras, specifically the GL2 but with high price tags like that, (i know ~1000 is very cheap for a prosumer video camera) would i be better off getting a handheld that would be sold at a store like best buy? with the GL2 getting pretty old now, is the technology in "vacation" video cameras similar to what something like the gl2 would offer? To be honest, as tacky as it may sound, i would really love to just achieve the cinematic look, with shallow dof and all that, which leads me into my next point.

where can i go to learn more about lenses and adapters and everything i would need to know to make a wise purchase? all i really know about semi professional videography is 3ccd. also i kinda know that 35mm is a type of adapter (lens?) that achieves the shallow dof look. as you can probably tell, i am pretty clueless on where to learn and what to learn.

any help appreciated :)

Back