Festival or....?

I posted a thread on here yesterday about an upcoming documentary I'm going to be shooting sometime next year hopefully. I never actually considered what I'm going to do with it when I'm finished.

I figured that I'd just send it to a festival and see where that goes?

Or do you reckon I should even try get a distribution deal (very unlikely)?

Or if that doesn't work I might just distribute it myself or give it to friends + family etc and call it a learning experience...

II figured that I'd just send it to a festival and see where that goes?

Won't know 'til you try :cool:

Or do you reckon I should even try get a distribution deal (very unlikely)?

Long odds turn to 100% failure, when you don't at least try :cool:

There are some really oddball documentaries out there, that are remarkably good.

My Father, the Genius is one. A girl does a doc about her loser of a father. Watch it!

Lord of the Dance-Machine. A dude really really likes Dance Dance Revolution lol.

Both are really awesome, but certainly nothing that sounded like a good idea when reading the description of them. Maybe yours will be just like that, too. Or maybe just flat-out awesome. Or maybe it will blow, and only your family & a few IT'ers will suffer through it.

Won't know 'til ya try, though. :abduct:

You do all three.

Enter it into festivals; if you get in that (minutely) ups your chances for distribution. If nothing happens after 18 months or so you can always give them to family and friends as Christmas presents. After that upload to YouTube and maybe it will go viral.

Most documentaries will benefit in one way or another from festival exposure. Doesn't mean you'll get a distribution deal, but it does increase the chances. And if you work at getting press coverage when in festivals, this will help enormously.
Good luck!

JC

Back