• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Feels like a Film

Whenever I ask this, a lot of people get it wrong, and I have to admit the question is a little misleading. I always wondered how it is possible to make videos look like film. Many interpret this as 'how to make a digital video look like it was shot on film'. But what I really mean is what needs to be done in order to make your videos look cinematic?

I shoot with a Canon HG10, and the fact that it shoots in HD improves the resolution dramatically. However, with this camcorder, it is difficult to adjust a high aperture, and the overall look of the video shot looks somewhat bland.

I've seen some videos shot with SLR cameras (Canon 7D) and they tend to look much more cinematic than the camcorder I use. I've tried manual focusing (which helps a little) and using the 'film' mode on the camera.

What else can I do to make videos shot with this camcorder look more like a film?

Test video with a few shots of the lil'dolly can be found at

http://www.vimeo.com/9085688

Two nights worth of work and $30... (i needed a 1/4 20 tap and a few nuts and bolts...)

The only weakness so far, is my cheap tripod! the quick connect plate has a little lash in it.. which translates to 1/4" up and down at the ends of the lil'dolly. Oh, you cant tell but I just taped a 1/4 20 hole in the center of the beam and mount it to a tripod like a camera.

I need to learn how to use it, and I think it needs a tripod head on it rather than just mount the camera. check it out, I think its cool.. :)

Back