• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Feels like a Film

Whenever I ask this, a lot of people get it wrong, and I have to admit the question is a little misleading. I always wondered how it is possible to make videos look like film. Many interpret this as 'how to make a digital video look like it was shot on film'. But what I really mean is what needs to be done in order to make your videos look cinematic?

I shoot with a Canon HG10, and the fact that it shoots in HD improves the resolution dramatically. However, with this camcorder, it is difficult to adjust a high aperture, and the overall look of the video shot looks somewhat bland.

I've seen some videos shot with SLR cameras (Canon 7D) and they tend to look much more cinematic than the camcorder I use. I've tried manual focusing (which helps a little) and using the 'film' mode on the camera.

What else can I do to make videos shot with this camcorder look more like a film?

It's all about lighting, framing, blocking, art direction, and color correction.

Light everything to give the scene more depth, since the camera can't pick up as much nuance as your eye can. Keep the difference between the brightest highlights and darkest shadows within range of what the camera can record, this will give you all the picture information you will ever want or need in post.

Set up your shot, and plan the camera movement and actors movements so they are cinematic. Move the camera.. don't just pick it up and walk around, put the camera and tripod on a dolly, get subtle smooth pushes, pulls, and trucks left/right..

Control as much as you possibly can about what winds up in the camera. Colors are a HUGE thing that get overlooked a lot. In a perfect world, every pixel of every frame should be there on purpose, because it serves the story at that moment.

Every single shot should ultimately receive some sort of color treatment. Aside from matching it with the other shots that make up that scene, tweaking saturation, contrast, gamma, curves, etc is essential to producing a finished product that looks like a film.

And finally, DO NOT underestimate the power of sound. As strange as this is, sound makes your movie look better. :)

I think what the OP was seeing was the difference in DOF.

With a 35mm Camera, even though it's digital, is shooting through 35mm lenses. This will give a sharp image with soft foreground/background.

Besides that, Will nailed it.

Lighting, cinematography, SOUND, framing, etc.

I need some tips on camera movement..

in a related story, i picked up this high precision aluminum pneumatic slide table and rail at my local used gizmo store.. Spend most of last night ripping out the guts and turning it into a tripod mounted dolly.. smooooothh not very long, only a couple feet.. but neat.. Im hitting the hardware store to day for a few nuts and bolts to finish it up.. final cost should be about $25.

(though, since I want to put a pan head on it, I might just buy my new tripod today.. so final cost could be much more :) )

in a related story, i picked up this high precision aluminum pneumatic slide table and rail at my local used gizmo store.. Spend most of last night ripping out the guts and turning it into a tripod mounted dolly.. smooooothh not very long, only a couple feet.. but neat.. Im hitting the hardware store to day for a few nuts and bolts to finish it up.. final cost should be about $25.

(though, since I want to put a pan head on it, I might just buy my new tripod today.. so final cost could be much more :) )
So, basically an indislider?

I love DIY projects, I don't have immediate need for a dolly, but I plan on making it myself when I do :)

I also love your posts, wheatgrinder. Your passion and dedication is always inspiring me to keep at it :D

So, basically an indislider?

Ah, I didn't say it was an ORIGINAL idea :) Just my cheapo kluged version.. the device I unceremoniously gutted, was probably a couple grand when new!

They had a 5 foot version, but it was $75! So I passed.

If I had to revision this, Id use 8020 bits and pieces... (8020 is like erector set for grownups!) But the table just JUMPED out at me and said "take me, save me from this garbage heap and give me new life!" How can I argue with a plea like that?

I love DIY projects, I don't have immediate need for a dolly, but I plan on making it myself when I do :)

I also love your posts, wheatgrinder. Your passion and dedication is always inspiring me to keep at it :D

Thanks Dreadylock!

My worry is that I get a bit too focused on the tools and making this and that work, that I delay the real thing.. the movie.......

For example, my "Th Last Little Girl" script has a feakin HUGE hole in it, the ending is still "iffy" and spring is on its way! I need to focus on that.. but then I really start wanting a new camera, so Im researching that.. now Im off on this gizmo..

FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS which I cant do because my little LCD makes it hard.. so I start working on turning a busted portrable DVD player into a 7" monitor.. which Ill need to attach to the camera, so I need to craft a rail system..

see my problem :D

movement - jibs and dollies - composition - color - you can pull quite a bit out of your camera if you learn to properly white balance in order to bring out contrast, your vectroscope and histogram meters. You need manual controls as well so you can at the very least lock your exposure. Just look up youtube tutorials - most are BS, but sometimes you find something good. Check lighting techniques, I saw a really good one the other day that interviewed some prestigious cinematographers.

It's not all about the camera though - I shot something on 1989 VHS camera I bought at goodwill for 10$ that looks pretty good and can stand on its own... except... it's VHS and really doesn't even look good if you expand the window haha. I'd post it, but the director abandoned the project so I never put the final cut of the audio in... actually, I'll post it anyway - just for shot reference damnit! It falls short in tons of areas in its current state.
http://www.vimeo.com/8730823

The audience can spot an amateur film from a mile away, but generally can't tell the difference between two professional pieces.

wheatgrinder - just hook a computer monitor up to your camera - you can find pretty much every conversion piece you need regardless of model. I had to do that on my last shoot, it was SD and 16:9 squeezed into 4:3, but it worked for focusing - if all else fails, Manhattan LCD has a monitor sale now for like 600$ 7.1 and 8.5 up to 1080p lcds that can't be beat. They're not the best... by any means - but the most affordable out there

Sorry, I went off topic.. thanks for your response BTW..

Back to making it look like a movie, Id like to explore more how camera movement accomplishes this. In my random reading, I see that small continual movement is desired.

What are the techniques used to elicit specific responses from the viewer?

For example, in 28 days later, every time the zombies were on screen, the camera went to hand held.. so the hand held shaky cam was used to elicit tension.. ( I guess)

comments.. ??

Maybe a less generic question is better....

Some hypothetical scene:

Man and woman walking down a rural road. The stop turn to each other and start talking..

WOMAN
Does my butt look big in these pants
MAN
Of course not

How could camera movement be used to affect the mood of the scene?

:)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

Especially Will for all the information about lighting, movement, sound...etc. And Samiammi, the quality of that video you posted looks really interesting. It reminds me of older documentaries, and it can easily pass off as a film shot twenty years ago.

Now that raises another question, if I want to achieve a certain style in my videos, such as a grainy look/desaturated...etc. Is it better to do it in post production or on set?

Me, Id say post for those SPECIFIC items, but your art direction (set design, wardrobe etc) choices are also used to set the style. Best to illustrate by example..

Compare these two items..

Emerald green satin dress
Grey old gable knit sweater

One is grainy and desaturated, the other isn't. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Related to a comment earlier...

I'm thinking about turning this old Grocery cart I found (which works quite well ironically) into a dolly. I'm planning on welding some spots for a tripod to slip into in the center and possibly a place for someone to stand/sit inside to operate while someone else pushes/pulls. I'll probably end up changing the wheels to get a smoother shot, but that's where I'm having trouble: I can't find wheels that would work. I've thought about maybe just adding a decent amount of electrical tape to the wheels to give them some padding, but I'm sure this won't work out. Any ideas?

Back