• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Feeling Good - another cover - music video

This video needs some introduction...
I shot is in 2008.

Preparationtime was 0.
I got a phonecall around midnight whether I could shoot this video for a reality-TV/talentshow the next day.
So, the next day I met the band.
At 10 am we got the audiotrack on a CD (they recorded it 2 days earlier and never heard the endresult before) together with a camera and 1 light on a stand. And 2 tapes. All to be returned at 18:00.
The keyboardplayer knew a styling/fashionstudent: she arranged clothing and served a MUA as well. And as lightassistent: the move the light around.

So we made a performance musicvideo with moving lights and some speeded up and slowed down footage. (We pitched the track to 50%: gloomy!!! And very long too ;) )

I will never shoot a video again without a larger crew! :P
We lost a lot of time, because bandmembers were just walking away from the set when they had to wait..

The next day someone edited in 1 day.

Once I got the edit, I changed a few things, fixed a few syncing mistakes (probably caused by timepressure) and played around with grading.
Resulting in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXLfGyFrTpE

Somehow I haven't shot a musicvideo since.
A few times I was asked, but in the end it never happened... bands are strange sometimes ;)

Anyway, what do you think?

Last edited:
I love it. I happen to be a big fan of this song, and the band's rendition of it did not disappoint, nor did your video. Bravo!

AudioPost, stop being the party-pooper. For you, it is poorly recorded/mixed. To the average listener (i.e. - me), it sounds great. Besides, this is a filmmakers' forum. We love hearing from audio guys, but I think your audio advice should stay focused on how it applies to filmmaking. :)

My bad, I was under the impression this was a Music Video and therefore the music had something to do with it.

The average viewer listener is not consciously aware of a great deal of the work that goes into making a film, a piece of music or a recording. Does that mean as filmmakers, composers, etc., we shouldn't bother making anything which goes beyond the superficial conscious perception of the average viewer/listener? For me, it's not about whether the audience can identify that it's a poor recording/mix but about the fact that they would have enjoyed and appreciated the performance far more had it been a good recording/mix. This is especially true of this piece as there are already a number of very good performances of this piece freely available. IMHO, as filmmakers, we need to have a deeper vision and better understanding than the average viewer/listener. Isn't that largely the point of this forum?

G

Thanks for the reactions!

This band doesn't really exist in this form.
For the TV show there were 4 singers, guitarists, keyboardplayers, bassplayers and drummers.
The combinations were changed all the time during the show.
It resulted in a band called Stereo.
The singer, drummer and guitarist are part of that band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fefOyLgw1TY

About the recording: I've been told it was recorded in less than 1 day by someone with a short trackrecord. And mixed the next day. I'm not sure whether all 3 remaining bands were recorded and mixed in same 2 days by the same person.
It's for sure that within 5 days 5 musicians were put together to pick a song, practise, record it and make a video.

Last edited:
I've been told it was recorded in less than 1 day by someone with a short trackrecord. And mixed the next day.

That would definitely explain it. I understand all too well tight schedules and budgets but the TV show did a real disservice to the musicians. Presumably the musicians were looking for exposure and publicity, it was very unfair of the TV show to put the musicians in a situation which would degrade rather than enhance their musical abilities.

G

Back