• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Feedback on my latest short

Hey all,

I've just completed the first draft on my new short. My first was very much action focused; this however is more focused on acting and dialogue.

If you could please leave me any feedback on what you feel works, what doesn't etc I'd be forever grateful! :)

One Saturday

Look forward to reading your feedback.

Regards,

Phill.
441 Films

Wow! Philleh it's great. I love it. I didn't see it coming. I love shocking ending and this one is by far one the best ones Ive read. I hope this gets filmed.

By the way I'm a scriptwriter myself. I write mystery/crime stuff.

Thanks for reading Deux, really glad you enjoyed it!

We are going to make this as out next short, we're currenlty story boarding and will then be cracking on with casting.

Thanks for your time once again. I look forward to reading some of your stuff. :)

Regards,

Phill
441 Films.

Pen - Thank you very much for reading, very happy you enjoyed it.

Paper- Look forward to your thoughts on it. :)

We did some location scouting yesterday and we've found two perfect locations... now we need to decide on one!!

Good job! Some thoughts:
- You built up Barry's anger over a few pages, nice.
- "fall" got used in three straight dialogues, and you described him falling off his bike. Seemed redundant, how about Barry says it once?
- The "ha" in the dialogue got annoying, you might consider parentheticals instead (chuckles).
- You might want a scene break, or one more bit of action after "He drops down to his knees..." (page 2), as it seemed too quick to the repair being done. He could even have the problem with the pedal while talking on the phone, which might foreshadow stronger, set up worry in girlfriend.
- At the end, as Steven pedals away,
it might be a more powerful reveal if Barry first walks down out of sight, and then you reveal.

I'm curious, going to use the actor for the fall or a stuntman?

Well done, mate. Hope you put it up for us to watch!:yes:

Finally got around to reading it.
(I'll not go into Formatting TOO much, only that of which falls more into aiding the script, rather than addressing preference)

So here it goes...

ACTION

Straight from the bat we're introduced to the exterior of a home (EXT. HOUSE - DAY)

However, although the ACTION of the characters bodes well. You've yet to create the "scene". YOUR scene. Give it character. Short, sharp description and detail to bring what YOU want US to see. Weather. Surroundings. Sounds. (Remember not to go overboard, balance/pacing is everything. Be sharp and informative)

Where are we? -Rundown neighbourhood/Small Village/Cobbled street etc.

What does the house look like? - Any recognisable traits that would necessitate mentioning to our benefit.

CHARACTERS

As mentioned above regarding your ACTION. Description, that would best allow us to picture your CHARACTER is missing. This is very, very important. If we can't IMAGINE your character, we cannot RELATE. You have to give us as much as you can while maintaining the structure/pacing.

I've noticed you've referred to characters both in the ACTION and CHARACTER as 'The Cyclist' and 'A Man'. Although it's entirely personal preference if your intentions are to produce this yourself. It can quite easily deter to the reader and pollute the pacing of your action

DIALOGUE

The DIALOGUE would benefit from a read through. Naturalistic dialogue is both tough to accomplish and to ultimately maintain. Beware of your characters becoming fog-horns for your story, for explaining their actions. Expository dialogue is something you should always be aware of.

An example in the first section.

THE CYCLIST
.....yeah. I'm just about to go out on the bike. Going to explore the area a bit, check out the trail Mitch was on about.

Read it back. It reads as though he's answering his own questions. But not only that, he's TELLING us what he's about to do next.

"...Yeah. I'm just about to go out on the bike" - We could have come to that conclusion by what we SEE on screen.

"I'm going to explore the area a bit..." - Again, we'd have come to this conclusion in the next few scenes, when he was riding through the various locations.

SHOW, don't TELL.

Just to clarify. As of this minute (before the dialogue) we're outside of the door, watching this man struggle through holding a bicycle. I'd imagine that he has some form of cyclist attire which would give us the indication - aswell as him approaching/mounting his bicycle - that this is something he does for a living/hobbie.

Again, another example further in the script.

Read back the dialogue of OLDER MAN in his exchange with THE CYCLIST regarding the "fall". Notice the uncommon persistance to mention the "fall" and convey the "kindness". We can SEE this. You have to remember as a screenwriter, you're writing for the screen. It's what we SEE and HEAR. Not what we're told.

This is something that we've all done at sometime, so don't worry. It's purely practice. But once you get it, it will transform your material.

Let your ACTION do the talking.

For example. Toward the latter of the exchange with THE CYCLIST and OLDER MAN, there is the perfect opportunity for you to utilise your ACTION, aswell as giving depth/realism to your character/atmosphere.

THE CYCLIST
You're right. My name's Steven by the way.

Could be. (Bare in mind I'm purely going from what I've read)

The Cyclist reaches out his hand in welcome, still groggy from the accident.

THE CYCLIST
Steven.

Older Man takes his hand hesitantly and clears his throat. They shake.

OLDER MAN
Um. Yeah. Barry--

The handshake ends.

Older Man awkwardly places his hands on his hips, and kicks dirt with the tip of his boot.

OLDER MAN
-- 'from 'round here then? 'Don't think I've seen ya.

Also. Don't be afraid to reveal the charactes name. I've just come across the character OLDER MAN has now changed to BARRY. It was quite confusing from a readers perspective. So, don't worry about revealing his name. His age/look can/should be translated in the ACTION.

Characters don't always have to be in capital letters. Only when they first appear on screen.

There is alot of heavy use of names in the dialogue. Trim that down. How many times do you use someones name when speaking to them? Be harsh with your read throughs.

CAMERA DIRECTION.

Baring in mind this is a shooting script, Camera Direction is perfectly fine. But put it in the appropriate section. "SHOT".

It just makes it challenging for the reader to recognize what's ACTION and what's DIRECTION.

-----

I enjoyed it. I had to read the twist a few times to appreciate its intent and new perspective, but it worked well.

There's times of great dialogue and storytelling. You've just got to work on it.

Good read, bud.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the feedback guys, it's great stuff and all has been taken onboard for the second draft!

I've learnt alot from it and truly appreciate your time and efforts. I'll be sure to up the second draft once it's done! :)

I'm curious, going to use the actor for the fall or a stuntman?

Well done, mate. Hope you put it up for us to watch!:yes:

Thank you very much, buddy. Thank you for taking the time out to give it a read! :)

As for the stunt, we've planned on shooting it in the background and out of focus. So depending on the actor, if they're willing to fall onto mats or not, then it'll be the actor. If not, me or my co-director are going to have to man-up and take the fall! :lol:

Very well written and constructed. The dialogue sounds very natural.

I'd like to suggest an alternate ending, however, if I may.

After Steven leaves, Barry walks into his home and we dozens of pictures of a woman (the wife who broke his heart). They have big Xs over them and some are torn up but there is one big picture, hanging on the wall, un touched. Barry approaches that picture, stares at it in contemplation and shakes his head in regret.

We then see Steven go home and meet his wife. His wife is the woman in Barry's picture. He hugs her and asks her "You were at the grocery store right?" While in the hug, where Steven can't see her face but the audience can, she smirks and replies "Of course I was, you can trust me."

In the original ending, Barry is established as a little crazy and mad. His anger and hatred for women is clear to us. So the idea of him killing his wife isn't that effective. But since you do such an awesome job of showing him as a paranoid crazy man, this alternate ending, would make us realize that he's right and Steven is due for a heart break. The best endings, in my opinions, are the ones that break our patterns of thought. When I was reading this, I labeled Barry as a idiot, immediately. If I found out that, SHIT he is right...poor steven!! I would be left with an uncomfortable and VERY effective feeling.

Just my two cents, I really like your writing style though.

Good luck!

As for the stunt, we've planned on shooting it in the background and out of focus. So depending on the actor, if they're willing to fall onto mats or not, then it'll be the actor.

Why not do the fall in focus? Do think it would be stronger that way, as it's his story. Then edit selectively so you don't see the stunt man's face (i.e., if not using the actor).

In a perfect world, we'd be able to film it split focus; but as we're shooting on an SLR then I don't believe that will be possible. I think having it out of focus, will add a comedic over tone to the scene which will hopefully bring some likeability towards Barry, so that when he starts to unravel it will come as a little more surprising.

However, if the actor is brave - then that might very well change! :)

Drc – Thank you for reading dude; glad you enjoyed it. I like your ending; however it’s a little too smart for this short. We want to portray a man who stumbles upon an individual during the worst moment of his life – only we don’t realise that until the end. Which explains why Barry is so off.

Imagine having just killed the person you love, only to have a complete stranger come stumbling in to the whole dilemma? Barry isn’t a psychopath per say; a moment of weakness and temporary insanity leads to a huge mistake; now he he’s in a situation where he may have to kill again if Steven discovers what’s practically under his nose.

Hopefully the second draft will get this across more? I hope anyway! :)

Thanks again for your time though, buddy. It’s really appreciated.

Regards,

Phill.
441 Films.

Last edited:
Back