• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Feedback on Lighting/Cinematography Wanted

Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I've posted anything on here but a couple of nights ago I wanted to do some lighting tests. This is one of my first real attempts to create something with a film vibe to it.
This is what came of it. So please, any constructive criticism is appreciated.

I am aware the ceiling light is blown out but I didn't have any dimmer bulbs with me.

Canon T3i
50mm lens

295vask.jpg

what lighting did you setup?

Good question. I have 3 lights for the whole scene.
I have one practical light, which is the one that is blown out.
Two can lights. One that is clamped on to the top of the screen door, which
is out of frame. That can light was angled towards the wall to soften it.
The last can light was point at the wall in the foreground. To give that wall
more of a presence.

Good question. I have 3 lights for the whole scene.
I have one practical light, which is the one that is blown out.
Two can lights. One that is clamped on to the top of the screen door, which
is out of frame. That can light was angled towards the wall to soften it.
The last can light was point at the wall in the foreground. To give that wall
more of a presence.

Nice start. The look of a film is subjective of course, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. Overall I like what you've done but here are a couple things that bother me and I'd work toward finding a solution. It's apparent that you're going for something moody, but compositionally it feels a little awkward. The actor and the bright background are too close value wise, perhaps a dimmer bulb as you suggested, or maybe exposing down and using stronger key lighting to compensate can help introduce some more depth. The paint behind him almost matches the hue of his key-side skin, I'd consider maybe a cooler (or warmer!) filter to break these apart. If you do manage to substantially darken the light behind him, it may give you opportunity to introduce a little bit of rim to pop him out - I wouldn't necessarily go nuts with this, but it could be done just enough to "carry" the ceiling light.

I'd also consider playing with the key - it feels a little weird having the terminator split right down the center of his face. Maybe either wrap it even more behind his head and compensate with a touch more fill to bring out a hint of detail or roll it to the front of his face JUST enough to get a lick of light on the subjects screen-left upper cheek bone.

And a couple questions - what lens angle, what aperture and ISO and shutter speed are you shooting at? This feels like a fairly wide lens with a smaller aperture. Flattening out the lens and reducing the depth of field may be to your advantage as well.

good luck and thanks for sharing!

Nice start. The look of a film is subjective of course, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. Overall I like what you've done but here are a couple things that bother me and I'd work toward finding a solution. It's apparent that you're going for something moody, but compositionally it feels a little awkward. The actor and the bright background are too close value wise, perhaps a dimmer bulb as you suggested, or maybe exposing down and using stronger key lighting to compensate can help introduce some more depth. The paint behind him almost matches the hue of his key-side skin, I'd consider maybe a cooler (or warmer!) filter to break these apart. If you do manage to substantially darken the light behind him, it may give you opportunity to introduce a little bit of rim to pop him out - I wouldn't necessarily go nuts with this, but it could be done just enough to "carry" the ceiling light.

Thanks for the tips! I will apply these and look out for these the next time I practice lighting.

I'd also consider playing with the key - it feels a little weird having the terminator split right down the center of his face. Maybe either wrap it even more behind his head and compensate with a touch more fill to bring out a hint of detail or roll it to the front of his face JUST enough to get a lick of light on the subjects screen-left upper cheek bone.

Yea, I suppose that I didn't spend much time using the key. I also thought a fill light would be great there.

And a couple questions - what lens angle, what aperture and ISO and shutter speed are you shooting at? This feels like a fairly wide lens with a smaller aperture. Flattening out the lens and reducing the depth of field may be to your advantage as well.

good luck and thanks for sharing!

I used a 50mm lens. I know if I back up I can get more into the shot and then I crop my image afterwords. I don't like doing this but I feel that I can achieve a more filmic look this way. ISO i believe was probably 400-800. Shutter was 50 and the aperture was 1.8.

Thanks for the tips! I will apply these and look out for these the next time I practice lighting.

Yea, I suppose that I didn't spend much time using the key. I also thought a fill light would be great there.

I used a 50mm lens. I know if I back up I can get more into the shot and then I crop my image afterwords. I don't like doing this but I feel that I can achieve a more filmic look this way. ISO i believe was probably 400-800. Shutter was 50 and the aperture was 1.8.

Yeah, that works and I personally think it's worth doing (for practice) to get a feel for different lens angles if you don't have access to a zoom or primes, even at the sacrifice of a bit of sharpness. That's a pretty wide open aperature so you're probably at the limits of your depth of field shallowness.

I don't like the look of a lot of modern day films (not all of course) because I feel they rely on new camera and films dramatically improved speed/sensitivity. Sure, it allows us to use lower powered lights - but at the same time I think it opens up your image to potentially more light contamination - ambient light that's bouncing around on your set. This works fine for some looks, but it seems like you would need to spend more time suppressing light you don't want to make sure your lighting comes through. I think there's also an over reliance on soft lights - they have their place, but not every damn light ;)

Please post an update if you get a chance.

Back