FCP X - quick question...

So I am thinking about buying FCP X. However, one major drawback is the idea that if I remove a piece of footage, all the footage to the right will flood into that space.

Secondly, how is FCP X with raw?

Would anyone out there know anything about these elements?

What are you editing with now? FCPX isn't exactly pro software.

FCP X is pro.

Am editing with FCP 7.03 which is currently unsupported within Apple's new OS and is slowwwwwww compared to Premiere. Also loads of annoying little bugs are beginning to creep in so time to move on.

I want to upgrade and the choices are Adobe or X.1. I suspect I will be going X.1 when it is released. Am tempted to go X if it does the things I want (in the original question).

While I thought FCPX hate was way overblown, I found it was worse than people described it. There were constant bugs I had not found at all or as much in FCP7. Including:

- Stabilization and other features going missing
- More crashes
- Visual glitches
- Media corruption
- Inability to export

Some things that really irritate me are:

- New timeline
- The cheap iMovie quality filters, and their lack of controls.
- No integration with Motion

I'm not trying to sound professional or talk down upon it because I've heard editors trash it. I think it is a very poor program, and even with the updates - it continues to frustrate me.

I will point out, the Avid Mac users I know also spend the extra bucks to add hardware enhancements to their Macs to speed them up to run Media Creator and also buy the special keyboards that are labeled for use with Media Creator.

Don't get me wrong, you can edit with it but all of it's auto features are a disservice to pros. Pros want control.

Premiere or Avid is the way to go. Personally, I like Adobe and find it way more intuitive, but Media Composer is the real deal too.

Don't get me wrong, you can edit with it but all of it's auto features are a disservice to pros. Pros want control.

Premiere or Avid is the way to go. Personally, I like Adobe and find it way more intuitive, but Media Composer is the real deal too.

If you look at job requirements for an editor for any of the major TV Networks, Final Cut Pro and Avid is desired. You can use Adobe Creative Suite with Premiere Pro on your home computer. But, pros in the industry don't use it at work.

If you look at job requirements for an editor for any of the major TV Networks, Final Cut Pro and Avid is desired. You can use Adobe Creative Suite with Premiere Pro on your home computer. But, pros in the industry don't use it at work.

I am simply trying to find out if it does what I need and the two dealbreakers are the elements I have asked about.

If it does what I need (and the emphasis is on 'me,' not anyone else) then I will buy it. I think FCP Xi will do it and I think I will upgrade then but up until that point I wanted to check out FCP X.9

one major drawback is the idea that if I remove a piece of footage, all the footage to the right will flood into that space.

Forward-deleate (fn-delete on a laptop keyboard) replaces a clip with a gap instead of rippling.

You can also position things absolutely with the position tool: http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-position-tool/

Secondly, how is FCP X with raw?

Haven't tried it myself, but according to this it can play back cinemaDNG but you don't have tools to actually manipulate the raw data yet - it's really just a workaround:

http://bradbell.tv/filmmaking/the-revolution-is-on-pre-order-blackmagic-cinemadng-raw/

You're probably better off generating proxies for the edit and then finishing in resolve.

Forward-deleate (fn-delete on a laptop keyboard) replaces a clip with a gap instead of rippling.

You can also position things absolutely with the position tool: http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-position-tool/

Haven't tried it myself, but according to this it can play back cinemaDNG but you don't have tools to actually manipulate the raw data yet - it's really just a workaround:

http://bradbell.tv/filmmaking/the-revolution-is-on-pre-order-blackmagic-cinemadng-raw/

You're probably better off generating proxies for the edit and then finishing in resolve.

Fantastic, thanks! Exactly what I needed to know.

Back