• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Fantasy feature film Trailer (feedback needed)

The Kings World Duel of Shades is an independent feature I’ve made releasing to YouTube this Christmas. I would very much appreciate and be thankful for your opinion and feedback on something particular about this film as shown by the trailer. The experimental visual style. For this film I have created a new technique/genre in visual production. I call this a Thunder Animatic. It is an upgrade from the standard animatic,
Details:

-Animatic, still pictures playing one after the other to tell the story.
-Backgrounds are either thunder, stars, clouds or something else depending on the feel you wanna bring across
-Oversaturated motion affects in backgrounds and foregrounds. This is to give the film extra engagement through movement (motion is very important for engagement)

Those are the main attributes of this visual style. There has also never been a full animatic feature length film before, of pictures playing in sequence. That’s only been done for documentaries, short films or to plan the moving shots of a moving film (example story boarding) but never for the final product of a feature.
Maybe this is because an animatic has no movement? Meaning little visual engagement and is just too risky? That’s my guess. I’ve tried to redefine the animatic genre to be engaging tho. It’s been a huge risk, and I’m not sure if it’s gonna work yet cause I’ve only had myself and a few others for opinion.
So I would really, really love to know what you think of this new visual style.

-Does it visually grab you/immersion

Is the main question. Be as critical as you want, also I kept the story very mysterious on purpose. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be in this server I appreciate it.

Your biggest problem is that some of the audio is hard to understand.
Like when that guy starts talking at 34 seconds i wasn't even sure if he was speaking english.

Later on i'm pretty sure I heard stannis baratheon from game of thrones though.. a trailer doesn't make your film seem very original if the limited dialogue you have is lifted from another series.

Animation .. some of it looks cool but does the camera ever move at all in the entire film ?

Your biggest problem is that some of the audio is hard to understand.
Like when that guy starts talking at 34 seconds i wasn't even sure if he was speaking english.

Later on i'm pretty sure I heard stannis baratheon from game of thrones though.. a trailer doesn't make your film seem very original if the limited dialogue you have is lifted from another series.

Animation .. some of it looks cool but does the camera ever move at all in the entire film ?
Stannis Baratheon lol glad someone picked that up, I’ve made some references to other films in this story. Thanks for your pointer about the audio and yeah there are some camera movements but mostly restricted to sideways panning. Everything is on its side, that choice was influenced by Egyptian Hieroglyph wall art. By cool do you mean bad cool or good cool?

Stannis Baratheon lol glad someone picked that up, I’ve made some references to other films in this story. Thanks for your pointer about the audio and yeah there are some camera movements but mostly restricted to sideways panning. Everything is on its side, that choice was influenced by Egyptian Hieroglyph wall art. By cool do you mean bad cool or good cool?
i meant it looks cool but youre hurt by the fact that it so stable.
one of the cool things about animation is how easy you can move the camera in cool ways without equipment

think about that sideways tracking shot from 300
we see leonidas killing MFers wide shot, and then the same shot pushes in and now hes killing people close up, then we zoom out again. they filmed that with 2 cameras mounted to the same dolly with a wide and long lens, then stiitched them together with editing,

you could do a cool shit like that and instead of panning you could do tracking.
tracking shots in the lord of the rings look super cinematic. like when we first see frodo and he is reading a book under a tree, there are so many plants in the foreground that we track past.

it adds a ton of interest and depth to the shot.
even a simple dolly forward at the right moment can complete change the audience experience.

the point isnt to do stuff like that every single shot, but when you do it sparingly it has more power.

Last edited:
think about that sideways tracking shot from 300
we see leonidas killing MFers wide shot, and then the same shot pushes in and now hes killing people close up, then we zoom out again. they filmed that with 2 cameras mounted to the same dolly with a wide and long lens, then stiitched them together with editing,
YES! YES! YES! THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR! This is one of the things my film has needed is more creative camera movement! How could I have been so blind? Thank you SO MUCH! I’ve written this down! This is actually crucial all your points were valid. Thank you, thank you. This is gonna transform the movie To be even more immersive.

Last edited:
Back