Fair Rates UK ultra-low budget...

Hi guys being new to proceedings can someone plese let me know what a ´fair´rate is for experienced crew in the UK? As I don´t want to extract the urine - however as an ultra low budget, I won´t be in a position to pay ´full monty´ - although I don´t want to insult with the old ´deferred´chesnut.

I´m currently in development with a low budget thriller/horror sp I recently óptioned´and putting a biz plan together to raise the necessaries. In addition, I´m re-establishing contacts within the industry on both sides of the pond.

At the moment, I´ve budgeted for 100p/day OR 500p(6 day)/week for dept. heads and 75/375 for supporting roles - does this sound about right?

As for the shoot itself, I want a HD shoot - lots of low-light/lack of space; I was set on DSLR (5D?)

BUT after watching the Panasonic AF101 footage... I´m not so sure:cool:

Many thanks guys - respectfully, Jim.

Last edited:
Gasp!

15-30 p/hour - for a low (less than 10mil!) budget... lol!

Meanwhile back to the reality of ´non-union´ indie filmaking - is the 500 p/week really so far the mark?

Respectfully, Jim.

Well… I was on a BBC drama where the 2nd AC was on £800 a week. I think if you treat them well and feed them, you'll find plenty of up-and-coming crew prepared to work for £500.

Cheers Chili, that´s what I´m hoping for - an assist camera moving up to DP is a great credit to have.

Obviously, plenty of snacks/drinks plus one hot meal a day is an absolute must - Jim.

Last edited:
Here in Los Angeles I have found that working professionals (even
union folks) are willing to work for half the union rates - even less
sometimes. And bumping up (2nd AD to First - gaffer to DP) I can
pay less than half of what they usually get. As you point out, the
new credit can be important.

For people just entering the biz I pay what they would get get at
their "day job".

I think that sound recordists will go for between £100 and £150 per day. DOPs for £150+ and all other crew you should be looking at expenses, food and maybe some token pay. Obviously the longer the length of the shoot that you're offering them work for, the less they'll charge per day.

I'm a free AD if you need one ;)

Tks Nick - very early days mate - finalising the sp before seeking funds etc.

However it will be a 3 week gig - elbow room for deals. Maybe less for support, more for mains?

Anyhow, as I say early days and it all starts with the story and roles that good actors can bring to life - cheers guys, Jim.

Last edited:
Back