External Monitor for Canon T2i set and Electrical power

I need a help finding the best solution on mounting external monitor and powering the whole Canon T2i set.

1) This External Monitor on eBay looks ok to me. I like its 10AA battery pack to juice itself. Do you think 7' is enough? What are other options?

2) How many batteries do I need to have to shoot 12 hours day with T2i and an External Monitor?

3) Since problems with power source will mainly raise during outdoor shooting I am looking for any versatile solution to solve them. I have an inverter that inverts 12DC from my car lighter into 220AC. This is OK to charge a few batteries, but it means I have to leave my car engine running all the time. It worths mentioning that I do not plan using lighting for external shots, so power consumption is focused on camera and sound gear only.

The ebay listing ended. For what specific purpose do you want an external monitor? There are a few different reasons to want one, so your purpose will affect which monitor you should get (or even if you should get one, at all).

The ebay listing ended. For what specific purpose do you want an external monitor? There are a few different reasons to want one, so your purpose will affect which monitor you should get (or even if you should get one, at all).

First and foremost is not be off the focus. Second, is to have a better vision on what I shoot. Thirdly, I want OTHERS to see the shot and make suggestions, if any. Although I have no troubles with my sight, I honestly do not find T2i's built-in screen big enough for film production.

BTW, eBay listing is just for reference. There are still plenty of active listings of the same product.

BTW, eBay listing is just for reference. There are still plenty of active listings of the same product.

Of course, but when I clicked on the link, because of the fact that it had ended, it didn't take me to any specific monitor; it took me to a page of many different recommendations, so I don't know which monitor you're speculating.

First and foremost is not be off the focus. Second, is to have a better vision on what I shoot. Thirdly, I want OTHERS to see the shot and make suggestions, if any. Although I have no troubles with my sight, I honestly do not find T2i's built-in screen big enough for film production.

Okay. For focus, I'm not sure how much a monitor is going to help. The T2i doesn't support an HD monitor, so for focus, your best bet is probably something like this:

http://store.zacuto.com/Z-Finder.html

There are less expensive versions out there, but if you're planning on doing a bunch of rack focus and follow focus, I think you'd benefit from having a clear view of your best resolution, and one of these contraptions will be better than a non-HD monitor.

This next comment might seem really stupid to you, but, are you aware of the little digital-magnification button that helps you focus? I ask because on my first shoot with this camera, I actually was not aware of it's function, and on my first day of shooting had problems with focus. Since it's purpose was explained to me, I've not had any problems with focus, and it's been quite easy to get done, using nothing more than the built-in screen. That being said, I've not been moving the camera much, and have kept a wide depth of field. So, maybe you'll want greater control.

I can understand why you'd want other people to be able to see the image and comment on it. Personally, however, I haven't found the size of the built-in display to be too small. I mean, professional camera people are looking through viewfinders at these small images. Plenty of people have been shooting plenty of movies, with displays the same size, and many of them have produced beautiful results.

Anyway, my point is that I think you have to decide which will benefit you more -- being able to let other people see the image, or having greater control over focus. If you want greater control over focus, I don't believe a monitor is a good idea.

I will get a follow focus for a better focus control. What about not mounted on a camera monitor, but a bigger flat screen apart from camera?

When I say "follow focus" I mean the technique, not the hardware accessory. What I'm trying to relay is that you can't properly do it with a non-HD monitor, and the T2i does not support an HD monitor. The only way to really see what you're doing is through the built-in display. If you don't like the display, you can enhance it with one of those eye-magnifiers, or whatever people are calling them, but if you connect a monitor to the T2i, you are decreasing your resolution, making focus THAT much more difficult to control.

I love this camera, but it's not perfect. This kid explains it's weaknesses really well (he references your specific query at the 1:40 mark):

http://vimeo.com/9887877

It doesn't matter how big your flat-screen is. It won't display HD while recording.

When I say "follow focus" I mean the technique, not the hardware accessory. What I'm trying to relay is that you can't properly do it with a non-HD monitor, and the T2i does not support an HD monitor. The only way to really see what you're doing is through the built-in display. If you don't like the display, you can enhance it with one of those eye-magnifiers, or whatever people are calling them, but if you connect a monitor to the T2i, you are decreasing your resolution, making focus THAT much more difficult to control.

I love this camera, but it's not perfect. This kid explains it's weaknesses really well (he references your specific query at the 1:40 mark):

http://vimeo.com/9887877

It doesn't matter how big your flat-screen is. It won't display HD while recording.
Well, once I get the camera I will compare which way is better for me to control focus - BIG screen with SD or built-in screen with HD.

Oh, I guess I missed that. I just saw a bunch of suggestions for other products and turned away.

Anyway, I hope you get the results you're looking for with it. When you've had a chance to use it some, please post your results here. If it works out well for you, I might have to consider one, myself.

Well, once I get the camera I will compare which way is better for me to control focus - BIG screen with SD or built-in screen with HD.

In all honesty? Neither, but using one of the viewfinders like the one Wheat posted is going to be more focus accurate than using the SD feed to judge focus.

The t2i should have the ability to show 1:1 pixels for zoom, all the other Canon's do as does practically every other digital camera at the prosumer level and beyond. Cracker, you ever use that on yours?

Back