• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Exporting movie without black bars

hi,

I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS 4.2.1, and I have an issue I am not sure how to handle. My short film was shot in 1920x1280 at 23.976fps. It was shot with a 2:35 aspect ratio in mind, so I have an 816 matte that I've put over the timeline, but the export is in 1920x1080. This matte covers the boom mic since we knew the aspect ratio when shooting.

I have a distribution company that wants an export with all active pixels, so no black bars. But if I take them out, the mic will show. How can I handle this? What should I export it as if the matte was taken off? 1920 x 816?

The project settings are:

general:desktop, 23.976fps, 1920x1080, square (1.0) for pixel aspect ratio, and 24fps timeline for display format.

Here's the movie with the black bars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y620xxgh_yk

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you!

You sort of answered your own question. Leave all the other settings the same then change the resolution setting to 1920x816. If there's a crop, stretch or letterbox option be sure you do crop.

I can't remember CS4's export options. You should have an option to export it that way. The attached image is in CS5.5, see where the resolution slider is?

However, if that doesn't work, then yes, start a new sequence in the same project that is the right dimensions and drag the 1920x1080 sequence into it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 8.40.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 8.40.13 AM.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Thanks for the help, and sorry for the delay. So after trying the suggestions, I found the best route was to make a 1920x816 sequence, and then drop my original timeline into it. It cropped automatically what was needed, didn't need any black bar matte in there, so that solved that. The only problem is the export, and how adobe automatically puts black bars on the export. How do I solve that? In how it looks original it's perfect, yet the output slaps black bars on it. The only one that lets me keep the export at 1920x9816 is the F4v(FLV) format, and the export doesn't have black bars. But I need something higher quality and in either quicktime or an avi through h264. But those will keep the 1920, but not let me change the height to 816.

Any suggestions?

Ah, remember that Youtube will always display "black bars" for any resolution wider than 16:9. Because the Youtube player is locked to 16:9, it's not like Vimeo where you can upload a different aspect and get a different player. In the same way, if you watch a 2.66:1 video in fullscreen, there will be black space for sure. Just mathematical logics.

Else, I can't imagine why Premiere wouldn't render the 1980x816. Just set it on the render setup and it's done if you don't check the lock size aspect option.

See if this topic match your problem:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/339768-Custom-Export-Settings-(Premiere-Pro-CS4)-*Height

Last edited:
Back