• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Export Question: PC equivalent to Apple Pro Res

Howdy :D

My director shoots with the Canon 7D and edits his video in Final Cut Pro. He's rendered out sections of the film that needs visual effects added to it in Apple Pro Res format so that I can use it in Adobe After Effects which I use on a PC. I've got some of the shots done but obviously I can't render it back out in Apple Pro Res format. What format can I use to export that will stay retain the same HD quality as the apple pro res codec?

Howdy :D

My director shoots with the Canon 7D and edits his video in Final Cut Pro. He's rendered out sections of the film that needs visual effects added to it in Apple Pro Res format so that I can use it in Adobe After Effects which I use on a PC. I've got some of the shots done but obviously I can't render it back out in Apple Pro Res format. What format can I use to export that will stay retain the same HD quality as the apple pro res codec?

Cineform or Avid DnX.

Cineform is great, but if you haven't paid for the codec it won't work which could make sharing files harder.

Uncompressed and JPG sequences are great quality, just take up a lot of space. If it's just a few scenes though, it's the way to go.

Theres really no such thing as an uncompressed jpg (unless its jpeg2000). JPG is a compression format, even if you set it to 100% quality, theres still some compression going on (although it may take a couple of re-renders to see any artifacts).

Use a .png sequence... Its lossless.

You have some nice work on your site Paul.

Back