experimental color correction and other effects

I'm looking for a pro level program to use for radical color correction grading and other effects. Maybe like magic bullet but more geared for experimental stuff. Here are two vids to show you guys what im looking for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsekfB_Kmpk (2 minutes in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOG-XJ0CC5E

I think these are made using analog equipment... obviously you can do stuff like this with most software but it always looks pretty cheesy and cheap. I have a software background so im ok with programs that have high learning curves.

Thanks

Looks like "Posterize" in the first one, with some color remapping, extreme "levels" adjustments and maybe a "find edges" or two.

Second one looks like alot of old VHS footage that's been recorded to digital, the color problems there can be replicated by shifting tint toward greens and magentas in the different exposure zones, relatively hard levels adjustments and some color video grain to help sell the effect.

I've been looking into programs and it seems like the high end ones require a specialized system (xeon processor, fancy graphics card)... my deal is manipulation of image rather than actual graphic design. I'm just looking for something a bit more geared towards doing relatively avant garde stuff, as opposed to something like magic bullet, which is basicallly for entry level indie film makers, right?

maybe your barking up the wrong tree... how about researching Live VIDEO DJ tools. Might get more interesting results.

In the end, if you want to get truly CUTTING EDGE you need to make your own tools! After Effects has some powerful MATH options that you can use to do ANYTHING you want to every last pixel.

Finlay, its HD video, ANYTHING you do is going to require a decent system!

EDIT: Its not LIVE VIDEO DJ, rather its just called VJ .. a quick search of VJ TOOLS yielded lots of cool stuff..

Last edited:
You're thinking that Color correction is the tool for this function, but it's really a creative combination of other random/specific filters within EVERY SINGLE NLE (not yelling, just pointing out that the tools are freely available, there's even FREE ones out there to use).

You'll need to play with them to figure out how to combine them to be edge cutting and guarding your avant... I can't see the pictures in your head, so you'll have to figure out how to show them to me... either a sketch or a video that you've spent the time playing with the image to make it match the pictures in your head.... spend the time playing with the filters and figure out how to break the image down into its component parts and build that image. There's no magic at work, and no special "poof, it's right" machine, you need to play with the tools to learn to use them... play!

Back