Experience Pitching to Local TV?

Greetings-

So I’m currently working on an hour-long crime/legal proceedings series, think MASH meets LA Law. My research shows the basic concept has been tried only a couple times, and the shows didn’t last but a few episodes (perhaps a warning signal right there). But the demand for crime/legal proceeding shows remains high.

Working on the pitch, pilot episode, show “bible,” and developing up to 100+ episode ideas (there’s that much material for the concept). I’ve got legal experts, and enough film experience… to make me dangerous.

I’m a nobody who would never be looked at or taken seriously by The Bigs. But I love the idea and am having a blast writing it… And wondering where I could pitch this, should I decide to put resources into making the pilot and then try and attract funding to make 3 or 4 more episodes. The show is based out of New Mexico, so thought I'd research local TV stations, and that if it actually got aired, maybe then attract some major league attention.

Does anyone have experience in pitching an episodic to your local television stations/affiliates?

-kj

This is not something that local stations typically buy. You may have a local CW or independent (non-affiliated) broadcaster looking for original, local programming, but that's not likely.

With no track record and no reputation, it's not going to be easy to get picked up anywhere. Plus, local programming doesn't stand a huge chance of catching attention of bigger networks unless it starts racking up regional Emmy awards. These days, one of the better ways to get something like that picked up is to start it as a web series. If it's really good, and you market it well enough to build up a considerable following that shares and posts it far and wide, it may get attention.

Also, be careful where and how you pitch your show. Many places, especially networks, take complete ownership of any idea pitched to them. In other words, once you send them a concept or pilot, they claim ownership of it. If they like it and buy it, great. If they don't like it, it'll never see the light of day because you will no longer own the idea. So again, by starting as a web series it is already published and they cannot take ownership of it from you if it catches their attention.

Last edited:
thought I'd research local TV stations, and that if it actually got aired, maybe then attract some major league attention.
When you do this research you will find out which local station finance and produce
hour long dramas. I suspect none do, but if you find one or two I have experience
pitching so I can help.

Let me know.

This is not something that local stations typically buy. You may have a local CW or independent (non-affiliated) broadcaster looking for original, local programming, but that's not likely.

Also, be careful where and how you pitch your show. Many places, especially networks, take complete ownership of any idea pitched to them. In other words, once you send them a concept or pilot, they claim ownership of it. If they like it and buy it, great. If they don't like it, it'll never see the light of day because you will no longer own the idea. So again, by starting as a web series it is already published and they cannot take ownership of it from you if it catches their attention.

Thanks for your thoughts! Seems hard to believe, in this day and age, that a network would do this. Why wouldn't a network (should I be so lucky to pitch to one), be willing to sign an NDA?

When you do this research you will find out which local station finance and produce
hour long dramas. I suspect none do, but if you find one or two I have experience
pitching so I can help.

Let me know.

Much thanks for the offer, directorik! That's also something I hadn't considered, that the station would finance/produce. One hour is what I'm going for—it's not a pure drama, but like MASH, combined comedy/drama depending on the episode.

Appreciate it!

Back