Ever Root For The Villain?

Sometimes I find myself particularly enjoying a villain and their 'antics' although being aware of their evils. I'm sure everyone does this.

But I'm watching The Dark Knight Rises as we speak and find myself completely siding with Bane. He wants to change the corrupt way the oppressive class system functions. I'm not done watching it, and know that it won't end this way, but I want him to win, even though his actions are, as he describes, "A necessary evil."

With minor alterations to his actions, and assuming the world would find a new balance once the anarchy ended, would he not undoubtedly be considered a hero?

The best thing about a film are the characters, and I think they made, not only a terrifying, menacing, BIG sumbitch, villain, but also a truly reasonable (and completely possible in real life) motive to go along with him. This is the best character I've ever analyzed and it has inspired me to write villains as more than just a challenge to the protagonist.

If the villain isn't at least as dominant as the hero, the story is most likely not very interesting. I find that the best villains are heroic by nature but have a traumatic event that has twisted their sense of justice. The flaws are what make the characters relate-able.

Ever Root For The Villain?

Sure. Sometimes the villain is just a better character. Take for instance Krod Mundoon and the Flaming Sword series. The actor who plays the bad guy just cast a big shadow over everyone else in the cast.

Alan Rickman almost did the same in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

Some good guys are so boring or annoying that I find myself wishing the villain would just put us (the audience) out of our misery.

I love Bane! I think his motivations make perfect sense, from start to finish. His accent is a tad cartoonish, but hey, this is a comic-book movie, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkMPZ7WeDck

I loved Bane's voice too.

I did notice a couple of times where his voice deepens, becomes more menacing. Although it does work, I found it slightly confusing. He almost sounds like Batman. Anyone else find this?

Back to the OP, I never rooted for Bane. I wanted Batman to win the entire time. Bane was an excellent villain. Most menacing moment for me was... "Do you feel in charge?"

Some that I liked:

Al Pacino in THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE. Likable and charming!

Robert DeNiro in HEAT. Very businesslike, but was not evil. (Also for his roles in TAXI DRIVER & UNTOUCHABLES.)

Dr. Evil - AUSTIN POWERS. You've got to love him!

Hannibal Lector - SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and HANNIBAL. He is always watching out for Clarice.

Rutger Hauer - THE HITCHER. I don't think he ever wanted to hurt Jim (C. Thomas Howell).

Kevin Spacey as Keyser Soze - THE USUAL SUSPECTS.

I've always found Satan from Christian mythology, and the book Paradise Lost to be the easiest villain to side with, just because he isn't inherently evil, he actually stands against what he views as evil, showing bravery, and willing to lose everything he has to fight for what he believes in.

Back