• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch End of DIRECT TO VIDEO market

Damn. and I got 6 copies in a row of "everybody was kung fu fighting again" that were all snapped in half. ( I think the distribution company used the cheapest discs available)

So apparently I went through nearly half their stock. Finally gave up on the disc this weekend :(

Damn. and I got 6 copies in a row of "everybody was kung fu fighting again" that were all snapped in half. ( I think the distribution company used the cheapest discs available)

So apparently I went through nearly half their stock. Finally gave up on the disc this weekend :(

That means they might order all of 6 new copies! Oh, those producers will be swimming in loot!

Amazing info!!

Thanks.

My one gripe with this vid, and it is a very good vid by the way and very informative, is that it doesn't give us any idea about what the alternative is for us indie film makers.

Great vid, again. Your series gets better each time. How regular is it, now?

Thank you, sir. I don't know how regular it is. I'm shooting 1 more this Friday, will take a week or two to post production, then upload. Whenever I think of something I want to talk about, figure out what I basically need in terms of graphics, then just do it.

My one gripe with this vid, and it is a very good vid by the way and very informative, is that it doesn't give us any idea about what the alternative is for us indie film makers.

Sorry. As far as I can see, there is no alternative, at least not in the way of making a living wage exclusively from low budget filmmaking. You can have a hobby that turns some small profit from self distribution, or the alternative of getting massive distribution etc. is more akin to winning the lottery - with lower odds.

I wish I had better news and thought the topic was depressing enough without having to toss THAT poo on the pile. :(

My one gripe with this vid... is that it doesn't give us any idea about what the alternative is for us indie film makers.
There isn't one that doesn't rely on building a massive online fan base before even making a DTV or DTYoutube film.

You might get really really really really lucky and produce a viral hit, otherwise... THHP! Money out the window.

lol aah well, its probably just as well, I would have made a horrible millionaire anyway. Rocking up on set with a gold plated camera and a directors chair that is a lazy boy carried by two workers is probably not going to do me much good. I admit the Cuban cigars would probably have given me tongue cancer also...so for all involved its probably best that I just do this for the love...I still win :)

Does it mean that nobody has made a model that work for nowadays indies or that no one actually is willing to pay money for indie flicks?

There are models out there.

One involves not paying their cast and crew and keeping all the money (80 DVD sales, you rock!) for themselves. Not a really good way to go.

Building a brand and leveraging that brand into a marketable property.

The best way is really to make what the mass market of people actually want to pay to watch.

Really nice, Sonnyboo. I also just watched your copyright vs. trademark video. Very nice. I pretty much will believe whatever comes out of your mouth in these videos. ;) But seriously, please keep them coming.

Yar, seems like, as has been said before on this forum, make films firstly because you love to make films. There are better ways to make money or to make a career than this...for most.

Or,

The best way is really to make what the mass market of people actually want to pay to watch.

;)

(And that's really just not me. So...that pretty much counts me out. Eep.)

Last edited:
Remember everyone, the making-money-with-video market is WIDE OPEN for anyone with a great idea (or one hell of a marketing scheme). Your actual film is only secondary (and your gear, third).

Remember everyone, the making-money-with-video market is WIDE OPEN for anyone with a great idea (or one hell of a marketing scheme). Your actual film is only secondary (and your gear, third).

True - but making money with video is not the same as Independent Film per se, but that is arguing semantics.

That said, I've seen some GREAT films that never made money. Mostly because they didn't have any business sense or even more likely - there are factors in the external that affect it. You could have a great action film, but if you were sympathetic to terrorists in the plot and another September 11th happens or release your film on DVD the week after the Boston bombings - you ain't gonna make money.

Cool pic

Is there a way to get the look of your picture in film using actors and then using some kind of overlay or something that turns it all into pencil?

Not with a filter/easy effect.

Films that have done this have gone frame by frame, hand-drawing over the images to create whatever style they are going for. There's an example I'm thinking of but I can't remember the name right now..

Back