• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Eliminating "skew" and rolling shutter effects?

I didn't know where else to put this, so I hope this board is alright...

I've recently decided on buying a camera that uses a single CMOS sensor to record images. This camera is the Canon EOS 7D. I've read a lot about the effects of skew and rolling shutter and realize this is a common distortion caused by CMOS sensors. I've tried Googling ways of getting rid of it in post, but all I found were plugins (that cost $500!) for After Effects, which I don't plan on buying even after I get the 7D (way too expensive for my needs). Anyway, my question is, is there any way to prevent the video from getting "skewed" while recording? Will the effects be minimized if I use a stabilizing rig and optical image stabilization lens on the 7D? Are OIS lenses even worth it?

I'll also consider any other ways of removing skew in post, but I can already tell you that plugins that cost upwards of $150 will likely be out of my future budget (just the 7D itself will be out for the next year or so, until I find a decent job).

Thanks to any and all who respond! :D

The best solution looks like it's probably the RollingShutter plugin developed by the foundry...

I just watched a video on minimizing the effect by shooting things in a particular way and working within the limitations.. can't for the life of me find it now though.

EDIT: FOUND IT!! Ok, this video is centered around the Panasonic HPX300, but it covers how to deal with the rolling shutter issues that occur with all cmos cameras (even Red has a rolling shutter)..

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/flv/rhc_vids.asp?video=vid9

Last edited:
I'm definitely keeping that NewBlueFX link bookmarked. Thanks! I'm particularly intrigued by the diffusion and "dual-boosting" tools it offers, that could prove very useful in the future...

Last edited:
Back