• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Element missing from script, do you know where it goes?

Hello! I have been doing research into the parts of a professional script format and found the below can be present in most (if not all) feature film screenplays:

- Scene Heading
- Action
- Character
- Parenthetical
- Dialogue
- Transition
- Shot

The below link shows a screenshot example with all of the above except the Shot. Can someone please help by posting a link that has a screenshot of a page of a script where there is a Shot clearly shown and present on that page?

http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...9dfaa07e9/1362441005586/elements_01_trim2.jpg

Scripts usually don't contain notes/directions on the shots.
That belongs to the storyboard, which is often developed after the script was written and a style is chosen.

However: if you write the script for yourself: you can add any note you like :)

I intend to do that but I wanted to see what a SHOT looks like on an actual script.
A "SHOT" is not used in an actual script. It is a camera direction: where
the camera is, what the camera sees, how the camera moves. In an
actual script the writer should write the story only and not use SHOT.

That is why there is no SHOT in the screenshot example.

I intend to do that but I wanted to see what a SHOT looks like on an actual script.

If you're the director, and you're working on your shooting script, you can write a shot in ANY WAY YOU WANT. The best way is to write it the way that makes most sense to you and your team.

If you're writing a script to ship around for finance, don't use any camera details.

Back