• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing with iMovie

Hi gang. I'm working on my first real short film at the moment and was proposing to edit using iMovie. I've used it before for a few YouTube videos but this is far more serious a project. I'm not going to be using any special effects. I suppose what I'm asking is it worth investing any of my meagre budget in a more sophisticated editing package or will iMovie be up to the job?

Grateful for any comments or advice?

Thanks

Kind regards to all

Brad
www.90daymovie.com

Last edited:
If iMovie works for your budget, then it will work great for editing. :)

If straight-up cuts & cross-dissolves is what you'll be doing, even the humblest of editing software packages can handle that no prob.

I agree with Zen.

Though, if you can get your hand on a more sophisticated soft, don't hesitate. iMovie is a pain in the ass when things get just little bit complex.

I've worked with a guy on a video and we were both editing it. I used Adobe and he used iMovie. Worst time of y life (right after that time when I nearly went to prison).

If you're comfortable using iMovie and not planning any wild editing sequences, then you might as well save your cash. If you plan on doing slightly more complicated things it might frustrate you (I've found multiple audio and video tracks can get very messy campared to a standard NLE for example). If you do want to take a step up from iMovie on a budget, I'd recommend Sony Vegas Movie Studio. It's about £60 (I think), but it punches well above it's weight. If you compare it to the pro version, you save hundreds but lose out on very little. It's definitely the best in the price range in my opinion.

Hi Brad, I checked out your project, read all there is to read really. While I would normally suggest higher quality programs (yes iMovie and windows movie maker work on a no budget but from my own personal experience I've always regretted not buying 'the real deal' a bit earlier in my editing life. The hassles and issues I had with free software makes me hate the programs...) it seems you might not have time in your 90 days especially when you're working as well to be able to learn something new.

If you feel you will have time, or you recognize that iMovie may be stretching it a bit, Vegas is your next step up, followed by Final Cut then Premiere IMO: but that's only if you see yourself pursuing this as a dedicated hobby and/or professional job

iMovie is capable of producing entertaining content fairly easily and quickly. Once your project is done, know one will know you used iMovie. And we'll all be entertained by your completed project.

If you get an upscale version, your project may never get finished. The learning curve is steep -- for newbies, think El Capistan. A minor task may take you hours to figure it out. You may even just cut basic editing corners just to get the damn thing up on youtube.

Find out if filmmaking and editing is your bag before you spend money.

Thanks everyone. As time is of the essence with the film I think I'll stick with iMovie for now as I a) already have it b) I've used it before and c) as is pointed out I don't have the time to learn anything new. Once again thank you all for your kind words and advice.

Brad
www.90daymovie.com (day 4 and counting)

Editing with iMovie is the editing equivalent of shooting with an iPhone. You're severely limiting your amount of control. No, I do not recommend this. iMovie is designed for soccer moms, not serious editors.

In editing, precision is key. Every single frame matters. Every. Single. Frame. Try getting that kind of precision with iMovie. Your head will explode.

Vegas has two options for beginner editors, both of which are less than $100. I recommend Movie Studio Platinum ($95). It's a solid piece of software that will allow you plenty of space for growing. And here's the best part -- for the first 30 days, it's free! That's WAY more than enough time for you to both learn how to use it, and finish cutting your short film. Don't download it until you've reached post-production. In the end, your film will be better, you'll have had a much more positive experience in editing, and you won't have had to spend a penny on new software. You'll probably eventually make the purchase because once you experience the real thing, you won't want to look back.

F#*% iMovie! F#*& Movie Maker! These programs are created for people who don't pay attention to detail in their edits. These programs are created for video editing tourists. If you're local, if you actually give a damn about what you're doing, there are plenty of inexpensive options available to you. Sure, you can edit with iMovie, but you're asking for a major headache, for no good reason.

iMovie IS frame accurate. :0

There's a huge difference between capability and ease-ability.

Then there's also the issue of using multi-tracks. Two video tracks is normal, and it's not unusual to use three or four. And that's just for boring-'ol straight-cut editing. How friendly is iMovie for that?

There is ZERO question that iMovie is supremely inferior to either Vegas, FCP, Premiere, or Edius. And with low-cost options available, including free trials, why on earth would any serious editor even consider using iMovie? I can see how the OP would consider it, because they're new to this, and thus didn't know any better. But now they know better -- editing on iMovie is a bad idea.

What if you require sound effects though? I mean can Imovie make a person sound like they are on the other side of a sealed car window, then you can hear his voice change as the window roles down? Or if someone walks from a room to a hard floor, to a room with a carpet? If you don't need that then I guess Imovie is good.

What if you require sound effects though? I mean can Imovie make a person sound like they are on the other side of a sealed car window, then you can hear his voice change as the window roles down? Or if someone walks from a room to a hard floor, to a room with a carpet?

iMovie is for video editing; if you want to edit sound you go to another platform.

At the end of the day, the editing platform you choose is merely a tool. Granted, the one you choose has certain consequences over the work you do, and implications about what you can and can't do with the footage.

BUT, the fact that you're editing on iMovie versus something else, does not mean that the edit will inherently be worse - indeed, a good editor will be able to make a good cut whether working on iMovie or Media Composer (they'll just have a better time of it if they're on Media Composer ;)).

Maybe look at Lightworks seeing as it's free :)

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, you can use iMovie to edit without too many issues. I would suggest having a very good idea of what you want for a final product though. If you do, there are little tricks you can use that will allow you to get more out of the software than you would think...

Back