• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing Timeline best practices

OK, so I made the call that I'm going to edit The Kohlman Files myself. Always been a proponent of an outside editor, but I have such a strong vision of what I want for this I'm going to cut out the middle man. I am going to use someone else for VFX, Titles and Color Correction. The decisions of what shots to use, when to cut, transitions, etc... I am fine on. My question is about the mechanics.

This will be the most footage I have ever dealt with as an editor. What do you guys generally do as far as the division onto tracks. Every clip (audio and video) a different track? That seems pretty cumbersome. Each scene on a track? Start with things spread out and take them down to a single track when finalized? No big deal, do what seems right for the situation?

Simplified: Place each scene into its own sequence. When all scenes are done, the sequences themselves get placed into a final sequence.

Each audio track should get its own layer in the sequence, making the basic mixing easier. Also, if you export the audio to an audio pro they'll have all the layers to play with individually as well.

Video tracks don't get anywhere as complicated, and the majority of your footage will be on the same track. Not too tricky, really.

The biggest hassle is organising all the assets when they are first imported. :weird:

Simplified: Place each scene into its own sequence. When all scenes are done, the sequences themselves get placed into a final sequence.

Each audio track should get its own layer in the sequence, making the basic mixing easier. Also, if you export the audio to an audio pro they'll have all the layers to play with individually as well.

Video tracks don't get anywhere as complicated, and the majority of your footage will be on the same track. Not too tricky, really.

The biggest hassle is organising all the assets when they are first imported. :weird:

Thanks Steve. I thought about that approach, each scene in it's own sequence. That does make sense.
The audio is actually the easy part. My partner is the audio guy and all I really need to give him is the audio tracks sync'd to the video. He does everything from there. I don't have to worry about levels or foley or anything, just sync'd dialogue tracks.

I have FAR more experience with Vegas Pro 10, but my VFX/Titles/CC guy can use either Premiere or FCP so I'm doing it it in PP to simplify the workflow. I won't even have to export it, just send him the drive with the project and the clips on it and he should be able to open it right up. I am also doing it as a learning experience, figuring by the time I get this done I'll know PP pretty well.

I generally agree with this (though I don't think organizing is the toughest part). With editing, the KISS method is a good one to subscribe to. But each editor will have to find their own rhythm, and we'll each reach our own conclusion of what is more simplified.

Two video tracks is the norm for me. Overall, track 1 gets used maybe five-times more often than track 2, but track 2 is absolutely essential to my workflow. An example timeline:

photoatz.jpg

In this instance, I'm using two tracks to help me work out the timing. I believe a movie should be exactly as long as it needs to be, and not one frame longer. When I edit, timing is obviously at the forefront of my mind, and it is always a priority for me to keep it trim. For every single cut, I cut it, then cut it some more, until I realize that I've gone too far, then I back off.

Anyway, the reason it helps to have two tracks is because I literally just keep moving one track around, on top of the other. I place a clip in the timeline, roughly where I think it needs to be. I watch it. I realize it's too early, so I move it maybe five frames later. I watch it, and decide to move it two frames earlier. I watch it. Almost perfect. I move it one frame forward. I watch it. I like it. I watch it again. And again. And again. And again. And again. Yep, I like it, let's leave it there. And that's a relatively easy cut!

Now, if I were to try that method using only one track, then every new adjustment would require that I lengthen/shorten the previous clip. That would be annoying. On top of that, there's also the fact that I often don't keep audio and video linked. It is quite normal for me to want to bring audio or video in earlier or later than the other, and it is a whole lot simpler to do that with two video tracks.

So, keep it simple. Do what works for you. Except...

You have just decided to take one of the most important jobs in filmmaking and place it in the hands of a complete rookie, for what is perhaps your most important project. If it's a cost issue, I understand the need to make difficult decisions. But you should understand that editing is a WHOLE LOT more than just technical know-how.

When production is nearing a wrap, shoot me a PM. Should timing work out, you and I might be interested in collaborating. I certainly understand the desire to keep creative control over your babies. But my honest recommendation is that you continue to let someone else cut your work, if not me, if not one of your go-to editors, then maybe someone new.

The first time you stepped onto an ice-skating rink, were you any good? The first time you tried to ride a bike, without training-wheels, were you any good? The first time you tried using chop-sticks? The first time you tried juggling? The first time you tried to kiss a girl? The first time you tried to parallel-park? The first time you wrote a screenplay?

Are you sure you want that clumsy kid editing The Kholman Files?!

Totally valid points Cracker and I agree on principal with them. As you guys know I have always been a proponent of an outside, fresh perspective, editor.

That being said, the way it has worked on my prior projects is that the editor has basically been my automaton carrying out the technical work of creating the exact edit that I want. All the decisions have been mine. They have just been the guy pushing the right buttons to create it. That doesn't mean they had no input, but in the final analysis the edit has been about 95% an exact copy of my storyboards.

Pacing, transitions, shot selection, I feel very comfortable with (as I said, I fundamentally edited my last three projects). My clumsiness is really in the technical aspects of how to make the software do what I want it to do.

What I do want to do on this (and where your VERY generous offer comes into play) is run the edit past test audiences. I think I can get that much needed outside (not invested in any particular shots) perspective that way. So if you or anybody else is willing to give honest (and I promise to take it well) input/criticism I will be ready to hear it.

So I'm going to give it a go (already about 30% through a rough cut) and expect to be hearing from me for some honest input.

Totally valid points Cracker and I agree on principal with them. As you guys know I have always been a proponent of an outside, fresh perspective, editor.

That being said, the way it has worked on my prior projects is that the editor has basically been my automaton carrying out the technical work of creating the exact edit that I want. All the decisions have been mine. They have just been the guy pushing the right buttons to create it. That doesn't mean they had no input, but in the final analysis the edit has been about 95% an exact copy of my storyboards.

Pacing, transitions, shot selection, I feel very comfortable with (as I said, I fundamentally edited my last three projects). My clumsiness is really in the technical aspects of how to make the software do what I want it to do.

What I do want to do on this (and where your VERY generous offer comes into play) is run the edit past test audiences. I think I can get that much needed outside (not invested in any particular shots) perspective that way. So if you or anybody else is willing to give honest (and I promise to take it well) input/criticism I will be ready to hear it.

So I'm going to give it a go (already about 30% through a rough cut) and expect to be hearing from me for some honest input.

Cool. :)

If technical know-how was all that was holding you back before, I feel very confident that it's only going to get easier and easier for you. The technical part is definitely not rocket surgery -- it's basically just knowing where all of the different functions are located (and being aware of what can be done).

And yes, I'll gladly be a test-audience.

Ive edited tv series and a tv movie.. if you use fcp you want to have bins where you throw all footage for each scene.. and go from there.. ive also had the experience where you got different cameras on different tracks.. so you got 3 cameras they will be synced but placed on different tracks.. if you have different cameras multi clip the shots in the bins.

Yeah I generally go with sorting the different scenes into different bins, and cutting on one big timeline. You're generally going to be setting in and out points and then dropping into the timeline and then finetuning, so unelss you're doing really intensive editing, each scene in a different sequence can be more cumbersome and more CPU intensive than it really needs to be.

However, I do know editors who do edit like that, so it's each to their own - find a way that works for you. Keeping everything in one sequence helps though in terms of bumping out audio and all sorts of things, and keeps everything consolidated so that you can easily fix an issue here or there, rather than spotting something, having to open up a seperate sequence, fix it there and then go back and check it, see if it's okay, fix the second sequence etc. etc.

Back