• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

editing software

What is the best editing software for PC. Use to use Sony vegas but want to upgrade. Someone said Adobe is one of the best? I know FCP is for Mac so that is out of the questions till i can purchase a MAC

Best is always a tricky question because it invites subjectivity. Are we talking Pro level or the entry level tools?

I am a PC user and in my brief editing experience I have used MovieMaker, PictureStory (for stills), Pinnacle and Vegas Studio. For me Vegas had the most counter intuitive interface (probably because it started as a sound editor) but once I got it I fell in love. I am still learning it but Vegas is the choice for me - it has to be as I have made the substantial investment and upgraded to Pro 9.

Hope this helped.

Kosh

Which car is the best car? Who is the best candidate? Which software is the best?

This is the most subjective question you can ask.

I can tell you my opinion, but it's what is best for me, not necessarily you or anyone else.

AVID Media Composer is good, Adobe Premiere Pro is great, Sony Vegas is still a strong contender. they are all equal in many ways, but what works best for you is up to you. Try them all out and see which one works best for you.

I agree. Try them out and see which is best for YOU.
As a side note: Don't listen to people who say you can't edit movies on Vegas. I've cut two features on Vegas and I know two other filmmakers who used it on their features as well. I think it's a fantastic program for features. Just make sure you go pro, not studio

If you plan on eventually getting a mac and using FCP, try Premiere. The interface is pretty similar, I had an easy time learning FCP after using Premiere a few times. But as everyone else says, whatever works for you and fits within your budget!

Like others have said, "best" is subjective, but personally, I love Sony Vegas Pro. I haven't really found much that it can't do that Final Cut can. (I've used both, but I've used Vegas more extensively.)

FCP 7 poor export quality - lost & need help

:no: confused about the quality i get in previews and exported clips compared to the original clip.

What am i doing wrong ? The footage was from 5D mark II transcoded to ProRes at 720 x 486.

the time-line has green bar, the RT set to high quality. the sequence has 720 x 480 (for some reason i cannot match it the 720 x 486) ???

from the screen shot you see the quality difference, same clip. Left is the original PRORES file in quicktime. Right is the FCP preview.
fcp.png

can an experienced mind please advise ?
what am i missing with FCP ?

CLIPS: the first link is footage exported from FC, the other is a QT trim from the same file.

http://lightimagination.net/files/hal.mov
http://lightimagination.net/files/hal2.mov

currently your clip is rendered "for preview"

select all of the footage, go to render at the top and choose render both video and audio (the setting sin this menu are confusing and I don't have it in front of me so you may need to try a few different ones. the way rendering works, is certain types of rendering are checked off so that when you use the rendering shortcut (apple+r) it only renders whatever is checked off in the render menu, if that makes any sense)

I hope that helps. If you don't get more info by the time I am home and can look at fcp I will try to help more.

currently your clip is rendered "for preview"

select all of the footage, go to render at the top and choose render both video and audio (the setting sin this menu are confusing and I don't have it in front of me so you may need to try a few different ones. the way rendering works, is certain types of rendering are checked off so that when you use the rendering shortcut (apple+r) it only renders whatever is checked off in the render menu, if that makes any sense)

I hope that helps. If you don't get more info by the time I am home and can look at fcp I will try to help more.

i admit i'm a beginner with FCP. i thought when the green bar is shown, the system is fast enough to render in real-time ?
in this clips there are no adjustments. all raw clip.

what bothers me more then preview is the exported quality. see the short clip above. one of them was exported from FC and it looks miserable.

I've only used Adobe related software, so I can't speak for Vegas or FCP.

I'd like to give Final Cut a try, just to see what differences there are, but it's what you're comfortable with(yea, sounds like a broken rec---er CD---er, skipping MP3 :D)

I would check your sequence settings compared to your export settings and make sure everything is set

with preview on final cut, it never quite looks as good as it should, especially if you are editting something in HD resolution. This is really evident when you are adding titles to a documentary to key characters/places, what you get on the screen is not what you're going to get when you put the dvd in or even when you open up in quicktime after export. it is a shortcoming I guess but it keeps the system running.

nicely exposed shot by the way:

Seems to me that editing software is more concerned (rightly so) with temporal issues. Editing is about, rhythm, cadence, pacing, etc, all aspects of time. Visual quality is sacrificed in favor of keeping the "time" right on. I use ppro and notice that when I get heavier and heaver editing tasks, the visual quality starts to drop, frames are missing etc, but the sound playback doesn't skip a beat.

In AE (I presume shake too) the goal is "visual" and hence "time alignment" is often sacrificed for visual quality.

Export is the key.
Whats next on the work flow depends on what youll export.
If your done, then just export to the desired presentation format. But if your moving on to some other step, sound or something, then you'll render at the HIGHEST possible setting. In PPRO this is quicklime PNG Animation. HUGE FILES..

Back