• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing Ideas?

Hey there,

I have been thinking about splashing some money on my editing setup.

So far, I have a list:

2 Meter long desk, straight
Imac 27" Intel Core I7 (does anyone know if there is a refreshed one coming? possibly with USB 3.0 and thunderbolt?) might upgrade to 16GB
Windows Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83ghz, 4GB Ram, Windows 7 (might upgrade to 8gb)
Apple Numeric Keyboard
Magic Mouse
2nd Screen (LG Flatron E2340T.. Already have this.)
2TB Western Digital External Hard Drive
Audio Mixer of some sort (Ideas welcome, must not break bank!)
Rode NT2-A studio microphone kit

Software wise:
Final Cut Pro
Logic Studio
After effects

So, can anyone give me some more Ideas on what to get, and especially reccomend me a good audio mixer for about 200 pounds, maybe less?

I am only 15 Years old, so lots of this is gonna be christmas and birthday.

Phil

Ok. So basically I had a look around and came to the conclusion, that I could get a way better specced Windows Pc for the same price, including monitors.

So my question is, I am wondering if I run a 42" monitor and two 23" monitors, would adobe premiere cs5 be fine with it? I mean, could it run all three monitors or doesnt it work? Couldnt find anything on google!

Also, does adobe support a Six core processor?

Last edited:
Yes you can do that. I run a 32" center monitor and 28" monitors on the left and right. Adobe has no issue with it and you can put menus on any monitor you want. I cant work any other way now. I have an i7 machine with 8 cores, and there no problem with that either. You should be fine with what you mention.

For audio you can look at Reaper. It does multitrack recording, editing, supports VSTs/VSTi, midi, etc.. And its free...
http://www.reaper.fm/

Thanks for replying to the thread with all the answers.

So far, I wrote down for my editing machine:

Intel core I7-990X
Nvidea GeForce GTX480
Asus P6X58D-E
G.Skill DIMM 8613 DDR3-1066, 24GB
Western Digital RE4 2 Terrabytes
LG Blu Ray writer
LG Lightscribe Drive
750 Watts PSU
Windows 7 Professional

40" Samsung LE40C580
2 x 24" Samsung P2450H

And thats pretty much it for that.

I was looking at the Adobe CS5 Master Collecting for students, with Premiere, Soundbooth, After Effects, Illustrator and so on.

This complete set up, without Adobe brings me to £2360.
Is there such a huge difference between 6 cores and 4 cores? I put together this system regarding the CS5 Benchmarks!

Tascam made a nice series of DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) which had input as well as the ability to add a tactile interface to your recording/mixing software.

the FW1884 and FireOne are at opposite ends of the financial spectrum, but the 1884 is discontinued, and therefore not as expensive as they'll all be used. The FireOne, I've found for ~USD 175, so ~GBP 100 or ~Euro 125... but the 1884 has fader automation which looks really cool :)

I've used the 1884 and 1082. 1082 has fader animation as well and you are right, it looks and is pretty cool. I prefer the 1082 and grabbed one on eBay for $300 just a few weeks ago. The price has gone back up and both cost about the same now.

Either one is a great board as it has its own sound card. I upgraded from an Alesis analog mixer and I'll never use another mixing board (I say never very loosely). Be aware that it is very heavy, but if you don't plan to move it, its a great addition to your audio production. I did music before I had an interest in video and had one for music. When I had to replace the board after it got stolen from storage, I bought another one instead of upgrading to the 1884. You can also interface it with any of the Sonar products and probably a few others as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying to the thread with all the answers.

So far, I wrote down for my editing machine:

Intel core I7-990X
Nvidea GeForce GTX480
Asus P6X58D-E
G.Skill DIMM 8613 DDR3-1066, 24GB
Western Digital RE4 2 Terrabytes
LG Blu Ray writer
LG Lightscribe Drive
750 Watts PSU
Windows 7 Professional

40" Samsung LE40C580
2 x 24" Samsung P2450H

And thats pretty much it for that.

I was looking at the Adobe CS5 Master Collecting for students, with Premiere, Soundbooth, After Effects, Illustrator and so on.

This complete set up, without Adobe brings me to £2360.
Is there such a huge difference between 6 cores and 4 cores? I put together this system regarding the CS5 Benchmarks!

Now you're talking!

Tell me you have at least 2 hard drives. ;)

I will have two 2 Terrabytes Western Digital Black Caviar drives.
Joey of Pruitt Digital told me to have one for the Applications and the other one for data and Tempory files! ;)

So I guess thats pretty much the set up.

Managed to get the price down to 2226 pounds without Software, which is going to be another £500 :S

Uff, I seriously need to get a job.
Lets see how much my dads company pays me for making an Image film ;)

Phil

It's always good to have something to work toward, Phil. I have a similar system and am figuring out RAID configurations for the future, but it works pretty fine with an OS drive and a project drive. By the way, a quad with hyperthreading is supposed to work like an 8 core, so a six core sounds pretty awesome.

I think I am going to build the PC in the next week or so, as I am on holidays then, so I have time to build. I have a monitor here, so I can spend the 1600 on the PC itself and run on one LG monitor (23"), so I can get the other monitors in the next days!

;) I wish Phil lived near me and I could hire him. Just think of the fun we could have if we all lived in the same neighborhood?

That would be really awesome :D If you are in London, you know where to come.... :rolleyes:

Jamster, ill take you up on that offer when I am stuck with something.

Now, just 3 more days of school and then ill start to order. Can anyone reccomend a cheap but good case?

Also, I just read that I cannot hook up 3 monitors to ONE GTX480. People said that i can only see 2 monitors at one time.. Is that true? If yes, i got to reconsider getting a second card?!
Please god, tell me i can use 3 monitors on one card :D

Last edited:
Here we are :D Got the Imac now.. New desk just need money now, to afford speakers: So, this is where we are at the moment:
IMG_8262.jpg

Back