• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing Ideas?

Hey there,

I have been thinking about splashing some money on my editing setup.

So far, I have a list:

2 Meter long desk, straight
Imac 27" Intel Core I7 (does anyone know if there is a refreshed one coming? possibly with USB 3.0 and thunderbolt?) might upgrade to 16GB
Windows Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83ghz, 4GB Ram, Windows 7 (might upgrade to 8gb)
Apple Numeric Keyboard
Magic Mouse
2nd Screen (LG Flatron E2340T.. Already have this.)
2TB Western Digital External Hard Drive
Audio Mixer of some sort (Ideas welcome, must not break bank!)
Rode NT2-A studio microphone kit

Software wise:
Final Cut Pro
Logic Studio
After effects

So, can anyone give me some more Ideas on what to get, and especially reccomend me a good audio mixer for about 200 pounds, maybe less?

I am only 15 Years old, so lots of this is gonna be christmas and birthday.

Phil

Why do you want the NT2-A? It's a nice mic, but why did you decide to get it?

What will the mixer be used for? Do you already have an audio interface?

What DAW are you using?

Why the Western Digital drive? (I'm partial to Glyph drives)

Hi. The Rode NT2-A was my choice, because I thought it was the best mic to reccord some sound effects myself. (e.g. the sound of moving clothes, sound effects of guys beeing hit...)

I acually wanted to get something like a mixer, to have a bit more control over what I am reccording. I do not know much about audio, but when i did my work experience, I asked around and they were using the mixers to get better control over what they are recording.

For DAW I thought about Acid Pro or maybe Logic Studio. Advice here would be good!

I had a look at Glyph drives, but they are really expensive. I like the WD Mybook Essentials, so i thought id just go with that!

Thank you

Hey,

Thank you, will consider the Glyph even though its pricier.

I bookedmarked both of your links. Will look into it.

Concerning the speakers, I was looking at some KRKs, I got some relativly cheap logitech ones now, they are fine, but I dont know if I should upgrade?!

Why a Mac and a PC, out of interest? According to the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, we'll be seeing an update to the iMac lineup fairly soon, so it might be worth waiting if you don't need it urgently.

I used to have those monitors, but I lost them when I lost my pants a few years back. They're awesome (for the money)! I now have KRK Rokit 5's, and I'll agree with Alcove's assessment. I'm okay with what I've got, but I wish I had the old ones.
I've got the USB version, love 'em.

Well, I was thinking PC and Mac because I would have much more choice when it comes to Programms. I already have the Pc, its not the best, but I could sell it for somehting like 300, so id rather keep it...

Ill be waiting for the IMac, Hopefully it will have the sandybridge, thunderbolt and USB 3.0 :D

I've got that iMac at the moment and it's great. As chili says if there's a new one coming out then wait for it, but that 27" is just too awesome.

Personally I would say that this looks like overkill. Do you specifically want to be an editor? Because this is a professional editing setup, not that of a casual user. Getting all the different software is just totally unnecessary, as anyone will tell you the Adobe Creative Suite package and the Apple Final Cut Studio package are exceedingly similar.

My recommendation is one computer, one set of software.

Also little things like recording your own Foley; are you wanting to do foley as a career or do you just want to have that option in your editing suite? Each of these are individual jobs in their own right and it's just a case of 'you can't do everything' so I think you might be better off choosing one or two things to specialize in.

Out of interest what editing software are you using at the moment? You seem to know a lot about computers (well, more than jackasses like me anyway) so is this a step up or just moving sideways?

Hey,

I agree, I have worked 3 weeks on the 27 inch Imac at my work experience and It is a great machine. Just want the thunderbolt and usb 3.0 on the next generation IMac.

I do not want to sepcialize in Editing, although, I want to have all possibilities open to get the best out of the movie by doing the edit just right.

At the moment, I am running Adobe Premiere CS4, altough I have Vegas and Ulead..

My friend has final cut pro, and that is what i really love to use, thus the upgrade to the Imac!

Yes, some of my recommendations may seem pricey to you, but they are good quality on a budget in both function and build. The point is you won't want to or have to replace them six months from now.

For your table or desk that is something you could and should DIY. I built a nice desk/table for my studio from a kitchen counter top I got at Home Depot for about $70 - it's about $82 now.

http://www.homedepot.com/Kitchen-Co...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Pick your color!!! You could use short and corner pieces and custom design your own space.

And, of course, don't forget second hand shops; there's gold amongst the dust and junk. I got a real leather couch in really nice condition for $50 and a decent bookcase for $12. Also a great place for Foley props.

Tascam made a nice series of DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) which had input as well as the ability to add a tactile interface to your recording/mixing software.

the FW1884 and FireOne are at opposite ends of the financial spectrum, but the 1884 is discontinued, and therefore not as expensive as they'll all be used. The FireOne, I've found for ~USD 175, so ~GBP 100 or ~Euro 125... but the 1884 has fader automation which looks really cool :)

DOOOD!, if you're just mixing wav's, just use this http://openmpt.org/

Modplug Tracker IS a quality audio mixer afiak.

LMMS is also a quality free proggy if you like to work with midi AND vsti instruments.

(and they're both good introductory courses to more complicated kinds of editing)

Ok, here is the list so far:

Imac 27" I7 -£1799
Keyboard Sleeves, Photoshop/FCP -£70
Motu Audio Express -£360
Western Digital Hard Drive 3TB -£120
Alesis M1 Active MKII -£249
Rode NT2-A -£239
Speakerstands -£50
Microphone stand -£20

~£3000. Urgh, I gotta find some work ;)

Well, I was thinking PC and Mac because I would have much more choice when it comes to Programms. I already have the Pc, its not the best, but I could sell it for somehting like 300, so id rather keep it...

Ill be waiting for the IMac, Hopefully it will have the sandybridge, thunderbolt and USB 3.0 :D

I thought it was a typo in your original post, when I first read it. Managing a single project, moving back and forth between Mac and PC, can be done, but it will very predictably cause a lot of major headaches. Pick one or the other and stick with it; there is a wealth of very functional software for either platform.

Buy a Mac and get either parallels, virtual PC, or use bootcamp (less useful) to put windows on the mac and get the best of both worlds... then you can even put a linux boot as well and get access to all of those tools too :)

I agree with Cracker and knightly. Even if there's Windows software you know you'll need, Boot Camp or a virtual machine will be much easier than switching between machines - one project across two different operating systems sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen for a one-man band.

Back