• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing advice

Hello,

I am working on a new passion motivational project. But I often get in a rut, and need some time off to let the images sink. Now throw in a newborn baby and things really have slowed down. And the project does not really have a particular story structure atm that works. So advice on this would be very helpfull with the shots that are already present .

I am creating a cut here. And I was wondering if you guys could have a look at it. And tell me what parts still need a lot of work, what shots I need to cut etc. (There is no sound, music or grading at this point). Any help/tips would really help out at this point and will really speed up the process over here.

https://vimeo.com/248065341
Password: fuel

For example I often have similar shots. Which I seem unable to choose from, so I threw them both in. Like this one. https://vimeo.com/248067525 password: fuel So maybe it works with them next to each other, but maybe it doesnt. But not sure which of em to keep.

Thanks mucho love!

it certainly presents a challenge to have no story structure while creating this thing.

I like your edit with the bloody gloves into gripping the bench press
I think the bloody gloves and the burning house are the two most powerful images in your arsenal

I would use the burning house more than once.

I would separate the situp/punches toward the camera by intercutting something between those punches. what is he fighting?

The rythm of the editing seems to be fairly steady, sometimes increasing the frequency of the edits at a designated point can be an effective technique to rachet up the energy. It's hard to gauge this without any music or sound.

I don't know what I just watched but that was visually interesting. What tunnel did you film in? Also, were you going for a trailer like edit because it felt a little bit like a commercial.

I don't know what I just watched but that was visually interesting. What tunnel did you film in? Also, were you going for a trailer like edit because it felt a little bit like a commercial.

Agreed, for some reason it reminded me of the nike commercial in "What women want"

The tunnel is a mining tunnel in Genk, Belgium. yeah I was going for the commercial +-1min edit/look.

Does anybody know of any pasting schemes that work brilliantly? Like 20% buildup, 10% fast paces, 20% drop (slow),30%buildup, 10% fast paces action, 10% slow.

I think I am going to film some newspaper job ads, and taping a marker to the lens. Which maybe gives an interesting look. Better alternative is to shoot the actor noting down the job ads. But that requires the talent to be present(and I have caucasian skin), and it is quite a hassle to gettogheter.

Back