East Coast Film Schools - I Need help

Hey! So I'm going to film school next year, but I am having trouble deciding where to go. Here are the schools I was accepted into. Out of this list which one do you believe has the best program.

Binghamton
Emerson College
Montclair U
School of Visual Arts
Drexel U
Temple
SCAD

I am still waiting for
NYU <- obvious choice but I doubt I'll get in, even If I do I wont be able to afford it haha so i'm going to try to transfer in junior year or something.
Pratt
Ithaca

Out of the ones I was accepted into which school do you think is the best and out of my entire list which school do you think is the best (besides NYU)

I'm almost sure there isn't much competition to get into mid or lower-tier film schools -- they'll likely make room for all people who have the cash.

If you're into becoming a director, ask the schools to list their alumni that became well-known directors.

The School For Visual Arts

It's not known for film. But, it has a name.

Have you considered The New York Film Academy?

What is your major -- Acting or Film making?

I know some other good acting schools.

I have a friend who did film at Emerson and really enjoyed it (although someone on his course died when they fell off a roof during a production).

Don't really know anything more than that. Go with Emerson ;)

I'm going to school for film and NYFA isnt really a college. I've heard a lot about it but I want the 4 year college experience and I would like to be involved in classes other than film classes. I think being well rounded is important. Thanks for the input guys!

Do you guys think Emerson has a better program than SVA?

EDIT: yea i'm feeling pretty confident with Emerson, to be honest I have a feeling thats where I'll end up going but it is one of the farther schools from me so i'm just weighing my options. And thats terrible about his friend!

Last edited:
Which school feels better to you? What about the campus and surrounding area; how do they fit with you? What are their equipment closets like? Have you checked out the course instructors? How are the alumnus doing out in the real (reel?) world?

The "best" school is the one you are going to get the most out of.

I know several people who went to Emerson, and all speak highly of it.

I've seen a fair amount of work from people who went to SVA, and have been quite impressed by it.

For what it's worth....

I've heard a lot about it but I want the 4 year college experience and I would like to be involved in classes other than film classes.
4 year film schools should be outlawed. It doesn't take 4 years to study film making. Really one semester is fine, then move to Hollywood, wait tables and start working from the bottom on low budget indie films. In Hollywood nobody cares if you have a film degree. The goal is to hopefully work for a real production company -- not slave labor indie films. There's only about a zillion people trying to land the big job at a real production company.

So pick a real major that has a realistic future like law or accounting or something, then take a few film classes on the side. There's too many useless degrees. Film is one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A75KERKwEQM

Last edited:
So pick a real major that has a realistic future like law or accounting or something, then take a few film classes on the side. There's too many useless degrees. Film is one of them.
I'm going to have to disagree. Film is the only subject I can imagine myself majoring in. Their is literally nothing else I would want to study. :)
I think going to film school is a great way to make connections, get internships and learn.

I'm going to have to disagree. Film is the only subject I can imagine myself majoring in. Their is literally nothing else I would want to study.
I think going to film school is a great way to make connections, get internships and learn.
I'm saying that 4 years is WAY overkill. FIRST learn about the business that you're looking to devote so much effort and $$ to get into. If you're gonna invest 4 years of time and money then at least come away with a useful degree that has a future to fall back on. Wanting to become a successful filmmaker is a little like wanting to become a successful musician. Only a few make a career out of it.
Everyone loves film making but this business is not what it used to be. This page gives you some insight into the business end of it http://www.yourinvestmentadvise.com/filmmaking.htm
Also just look on Craig'sList at all of the slave labor film jobs. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/tfr/ Most people bust their asses working these slave labor jobs for a few years until they hopefully can score a job at a major production company. Most aren't so lucky and burn out. Either way, no degree required at all, although we in the IndieTalk forums are often amused by slave labor job postings that are looking for someone with a 4-year degree and 2 years of experience.
If you're gung ho about the film business then maybe moving to a place like Hollywood and jumping right in is the way to go. That's a perfectly viable way to make connections, get experience and learn. It won't cost you 4 years of time and tuition either.

Last edited:
thanks for your input! but I already got into the film programs at the schools i applied to and It's definite that film is what I am majoring in.Deciding whether to major in film or not was not the point of this thread. Thanks any way though!:)

Thanks everyone for their input! Emerson is looking pretty good to me right now! :)

I agree you should visit and see which type of school you like best.

I'm also a fan of Emerson. I know people who went there and it's considered a top Communications school and has notable alumni (Jay Leno) who have a presence in Boston, New York, and Los Angeles.

You should note that Emerson isn't really a traditional school. It has a very small populations and is mainly a few buildings on a random street near downtown Boston. If you're looking for a traditional college experience, with green quads and frats/sororities and sports, look elsewhere from Emerson and NYU.

Lastly, I agree with Blade Jones. That's why I decided not to be a film major. But, like you say, you have nothing else that interests you, go for it! Just don't put all your eggs in one basket...

Emerson has other majors that might be more "marketable."

I personally know people who went to NYU for film who were sent to people in Hollywood studios for internships as part of their training. And, a large percentage of their graduates end up working in the studios later.

So, +1 for 4 year schools.

And, a large percentage of their graduates end up working in the studios later.

So, +1 for 4 year schools.
Why is that though? People who go to college already have drive, determination, etc. These same people with drive and determination could do the same thing by skipping the 4-year degree and starting working. That's what a lot of people in Hollywood do.

Learning things like medicine, law, engineering, accounting require YEARS of schooling. I'm sorry but it doesn't take 4 years to study film making.

Why is that though? People who go to college already have drive, determination, etc. These same people with drive and determination could do the same thing by skipping the 4-year degree and starting working. That's what a lot of people in Hollywood do.

Learning things like medicine, law, engineering, accounting require YEARS of schooling. I'm sorry but it doesn't take 4 years to study film making.

WRONG!

Without going to NYU, they would never had gotten those internships in the studios to meet people who would remember them later after they graduated. Everyone in the studios knows NYUs reputation.

I pay attention to the schools people I employee go to as well.

Even with my cast, someone fresh out of NYU is as professional as someone who has worked in studios. Others from no name schools are immature people who will never make it to the studios.

People can learn film making without school only if they are fast learners who are taken under the wing by someone with years of studio experience. But, without a 4 year degree from an NYU and the internshps you are gven, the studios will not take a chance on you.

Maybe 10+ years ago it was okay not to go to college for something like film or just in general but it's crucial these days. I was reading this pamphlet in school once and within 10 years even janitors are going to need college degrees in science to get jobs.

And thats cool about the NYU internship thing! I know a lot of schools set you up with internships which is great. Also I also heard that studios and other people hiring filmmakers do look at what college you went to when deciding to hire you just to see how trained they think you are. I think they would be pretty disappointed if you had no degree. A teacher of mine told me once that sometimes you're paying that 150,000+ dollars just for that diploma. Its sad but the truth.

Last edited:
Since that door is open, a MBA or a JD might get you further in Hollywood than a film degree if you aspire to be more than a grunt.

<Pam deployed>

<commence flaming>

within 10 years even janitors are going to need college degrees in science to get jobs.

Not if Newt gets his way. :lol:

Back to OP; you can find many good arguments for (and against) film school on the forums here.

How is a 4-year film degree split up, btw? You must be taking more than the core requirements, right? How much of it is film theory & practice, and how much "everything else that's useful", and then electives?

Btw, if you end up going to IC, it's a really awesome town. I lived there for about 10 years. I miss NY. :(

Back