DVD vs VOD

Which media gets more sales ? DVDs or Video on Demand ( iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, etc ). I heard many times that digital distribution is going to replace DVD distribution and that DVDs don't sell well anymore, but I'm a person who still buys in DVD format. Also currently being in the time of free youtube media, are trailers for one's movie still effective in terms of getting people interested to pay to see your movie ? I'm just curious since I've heard about industry changes.

Which media gets more sales ? DVDs or Video on Demand ( iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, etc ). I heard many times that digital distribution is going to replace DVD distribution and that DVDs don't sell well anymore, but I'm a person who still buys in DVD format. Also currently being in the time of free youtube media, are trailers for one's movie still effective in terms of getting people interested to pay to see your movie ? I'm just curious since I've heard about industry changes.

Most of the notable and/or reasonably marketed Independent film and documentary projects that I've seen usually offer both, often including a Blu-ray as well. Though I don't think the price for making all three available is necessarily expensive. At least not as much as it used to be. The main issue will be burning the film onto DVD or Blu-ray, and whether or not you have a system that can burn more than one at a time. Otherwise, if you plan to make 100-250, you'll be sitting there swapping discs for a while. Or you can likely get the files sent off to a DVD authoring service and simply have them burn all 250 for you. But that will definitely cost you extra cash.

As an example, I Know That Voice was released on I-Tunes and Amazon Instant first, and then about a month or two later, the DVD was launched for those looking for all of the extra bonus features included on it. That's one of the big aspects of doing both: bonus features are not yet a regular inclusion when it comes to I-Tunes releases of films, TV shows, or documentaries. Often bonus features and other extra materials are only included on the physical copies of the media. But eventually this will shift as well.

Another film that came out recently, The Death of Superman Lives, was simultaneously authored on DVD, Blu-ray, and as a Digital Download straight from the official website rather than a common VOD service. This then allows them to provide the digital download version in three iterations, each with slightly more features included. However, the highest tier of the Digital download includes all the same material as the Blu-ray copy does, and the prices are the same. So one simply takes their pick of whatever suits them.

If you're tight on distribution funds for getting a digital download version released on I-Tunes, or authoring and printing DVDs and Blu-rays, then I think it's wise to just go with the Digital Download version. That will get out to far more people these days than a DVD version will. But if your film is heading out to the festival circuit, and you plan to be at a few festivals in person if your film makes it in, then I would consider making a few limited-edition DVD or Blu-ray copies to pass out while you're there if anyone is interested. It really can't hurt to do that. And you can even sign them in that instance.

Last edited:
Agreed with Sweetie
Digital distribution is growing and physical media is shrinking

in two years times you will not find any working DVD writer to write a DVD.
Apple (MAC Pro) also dumps that crap technology.

instead offer your costumers film in a cheap flash drive. Digital is future |

Good Luck for your film.

Agreed with Sweetie
Digital distribution is growing and physical media is shrinking

instead offer your costumers film in a cheap flash drive. Digital is future |

Good Luck for your film.

You sure it'll be that soon?
How soon will Blu-rays get phased out? Will movies no longer be sold on any external physical format: like a card or flash-drive inside a form of packaging?

@FilmmakerJ
ya i am sure about it.
that's what i am saying
movies will sold on card or flash-drive. :) not on DVD or Blu-rays.

Well they'll have to introduce the first flash drive or SD card film pretty soon, cause I doubt if they don't introduce them by early next year, it'll take them at least 2 years to get any significant backers for it. And it'll take at least 3-4 years before they'll be extremely common in stores like the current media is, and before the current media is nearly phased out.

Blu-ray.com will also have to shift it's focus and convert its major section to flash media: though I'm sure they'll have a catchy name for it by then.

:) , first is we here to helping each other or arguing each other on what is physical and what's not.
second i only says DVD and Blu-rays will be gone. i even suggest to @indiemediaROCKS to sell his film on flash drive.
so set aside argument and lets make some good films. :)

:) , first is we here to helping each other or arguing each other on what is physical and what's not.
second i only says DVD and Blu-rays will be gone. i even suggest to @indiemediaROCKS to sell his film on flash drive.
so set aside argument and lets make some good films. :)

No one here is arguing with you, but a couple of people have pointed out that you appear to be arguing with yourself! You said don't use physical media as it would be dead in two years and then in your next sentence recommended a physical media?!

G

:), i never said that, please read carefully :D

They're right, ~AudioPostExpert. They said in two years, DVD writers won't be supported anymore, not all physical media. It was my response after that that postulated whether or not DVDs would be phased out so quickly. And they haven't been arguing with themselves either.

Last edited:
They're right, ~AudioPostExpert. They said in two years, DVD writers won't be supported anymore, not all physical media. It was my response after that that postulated whether or not DVDs would be phased out so quickly. And they haven't been arguing with themselves either.

He stated: "Digital distribution is growing and physical media is shrinking" and "DVD and Blu-rays will be gone", which incidentally are the only consumer physical media for films. Solution: Use a physical media ("card or flash-drive"). Maybe it's just me but this solution appears more than a little contradictory and rather Monty Python'ish!

G

He stated: "Digital distribution is growing and physical media is shrinking" and "DVD and Blu-rays will be gone", which incidentally are the only consumer physical media for films. Solution: Use a physical media ("card or flash-drive"). Maybe it's just me but this solution appears more than a little contradictory and rather Monty Python'ish!

G

Rather off topic, I've always felt that DVDs and Blu-rays are far more reliable (as long as they are clean and undamaged, blu-rays are far more robust) than playing something off of a flash-drive or card. At least that's the accumulative result I have found throughout my entire life having used both as a form of watching films or tv shows.

Though I imagine once USB 3.1 becomes common, then flash drives equipped with that read/write rate will play much better with large video files on-board.

This is laughable to me it's so off base.
They don't include DVD with the macbook pro because you can buy an external one for under $100.

To think that in two years time every company selling external DVD writers will be out of business shows that you are living in a world that is not reality.

Did you know you can still buy VHS tape cleaners and rewinders??
Consider that for a moment and then consider your wildly inaccurate claims about dvd writers.

This is laughable to me it's so off base.
They don't include DVD with the macbook pro because you can buy an external one for under $100.

To think that in two years time every company selling external DVD writers will be out of business shows that you are living in a world that is not reality.

Did you know you can still buy VHS tape cleaners and rewinders??
Consider that for a moment and then consider your wildly inaccurate claims about dvd writers.

VHS tapes did leave stores a lot faster than I thought they might back in the day. But DVDs and Blu-rays are going to linger for quite a few more years in storefronts. And even after that, people are still going to be selling ways to continue using them. So I don't suspect any significant change in the media status-quo for at least another 3-5 years. Maybe longer.

However, I think the 100s of backlogged shows and movies that have not yet made it to a physical medium, or at least DVD ought to be allowed to go digital, and made available to anyone who wants to purchase them. I know that would still take ages to digitize, but it still means a few extra $1000 every once in a while for the companies who own shows that have been out of circulation or re-runs for nearly a decade or longer. I'm speaking of my Millennial generation, of course.

Last edited:
i am just saying what i feels. Its not written court statement :)
if its proved inaccurate in future, then i will humbly accept that my assessment was wrong.

and we are going off topic here, topic was DVD or VOD

i am in support of VOD, you may support DVD.

From my first hand experience, by the time you factor in the wholesale cost 50% off, the actual cost of manufacturing (one dollar a unit), the distributor's cut, shipping, and returns, my $14.99 DVD reaped me only a couple of dollars in profit. I've found VOD is the way to go if you actually want to make money in the ultra-low budget realm.

Most of the films I review are digital, be it on i-tunes, vimeo, youtube, or other vod/free to play/pay per view systems.

It is just easier then having something physically posted to you, or walking into a store to purchase. With the online platforms you can be viewing it minutes after paying for it (time enough to heat the popcorn) and be enjoying your new film without having so much as walked to the letterbox.

For that reason, digital will no doubt win, and may have done so already for many.

Back