• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DVD NTSC

I am submitting a film to a festival and it says the DVD entry must be in NTSC format, but what do I need to do to make it NTSC format. What considers the DVD NTSC format? I would like to keep my video HD as well. Any help would be appreciated

If you're burning the DVD in North America it should automatically be NTSC but, presumably there'll be a box that you check to make sure on iDVD or whatever.

Here in Europe we use PAL which is a bit of a bind when you're sending DVDs abroad.

If you're burning the DVD in North America it should automatically be NTSC but, presumably there'll be a box that you check to make sure on iDVD or whatever.

Here in Europe we use PAL which is a bit of a bind when you're sending DVDs abroad.

Though I read somewhere that to be considered NTSC, there needs to be a certain aspect ratio. Is that true? Or can I just burn the DVD as 1920x1080 and consider it is NTSC

Though I read somewhere that to be considered NTSC, there needs to be a certain aspect ratio. Is that true?
No. NTSC has nothing to do with aspect ratio. It is the television system used
in most of North America. It is how the picture is encoded to play on TV sets.
You can use any aspect ratio you want. As long as you encode it for NTSC
it will play on TV sets in America. The reason the festival specified NTSC is
because other area of the world use different encoding methods. They cannot
play - for example - a PAL DVD.

Get a copy of Nero software suite and launch the DVD authoring program. Make a DVD-R and import your HD video clips. Choose your menues, chapters options, Select more on the bottom left. Then, select Video options. There you select NTSC and you can select a 16:9 ratio option to override the native 4:3 of NTSC to maintain your HD original ratio. Then click on next to preview it and save it. Then next to burn it. Say no to convert to PAL and select your burn drive. Then, select your burn DVD button. And wala.

Back