DVD compression issues

I'm fairly competent with compressing short videos for youtube and vimeo, but now I need to compress my 105 minute feature film for a dual layer DVD.

I've exported a 3 minute uncompressed sample file from my fcp project, and I'm importing it into compressor with the appropriate mpeg-2 DVD settings, but once it completes the process, my resulting .m2v video file plays back at a higher speed.

My first thought was that it was compressing at the wrong frame rate, but I checked my fcp files as well as the sequence settings and everything is 23.9fps. The compressor settings are also 23.9fps. When I play my original .mov sample file in quicktime it plays back at normal speeds, so I know the problem must be happening in compressor.

As far as my other settings go in compressor, I've read dozens of other forums and watched youtube tutorials on the best way to compress and burn HD video for DVD but nothing I try gets rid of this speeding up issue.

I've exported a 3 minute uncompressed sample file from my fcp project, and I'm importing it into compressor with the appropriate mpeg-2 DVD settings, but once it completes the process, my resulting .m2v video file plays back at a higher speed.

My first thought was that it was compressing at the wrong frame rate, but I checked my fcp files as well as the sequence settings and everything is 23.9fps. The compressor settings are also 23.9fps. When I play my original .mov sample file in quicktime it plays back at normal speeds, so I know the problem must be happening in compressor.

You are kinda right in that it is compressed in the wrong frame rate. I will assume you are making a dvd for region 1. Region 1 DVDs are typically 29.97 ntsc.

It would be my guess that the video is speeding up because it is trying to play back the file at 29.97 but it is encoded at 23.9. That would be my guess.

I would try transcoding the video with a frame rate of 29.97 and see if that solves it.

Trying to compress for playback on a DVD player for film festival submissions.

I tried encoding it at 29.97 which made it play in real time, but the motion doesn't look right. It's very obvious it's been altered.

What I ended up doing was just burning the sped up version in Toast and it corrected it on its own. The real problem ended up being that the compression was so bad that the DVD is simply unusable.

I tried many settings and software programs and I was never able to get a quality DVD burn for a feature film . Had to buy a blu-Ray burner instead.

Having to convert HD footage down to standard definition for a DVD is so antiquated and I'm surprised many major festivals still require it as a submission method.

Back