Dumb question

I know this is going to be a dumb question but I am full of them. I want to shoot a wide shot but then I want to cut into a close up. I know how to do it on the editing part but I want to know how I should film it? Shoot the same action twice? If that's the case how do I set up the shot so it looks similar for both shots?

Yep, shoot the same action twice. Not unusual to shoot the same scene 4 or 5 times (not different takes different setups). For a typical conversation between two people you might shoot it wide to get both of them and a good bit of background, then shoot it in a medium close up so you have the two of them just waist up, then shoot it over person A's shouder looking at person B, then over person B's shoulder loooking at person A. If you wanted to get REALLY crazy you could also shoot it in extreme closeup of person A and extreme closeup up of person B. So there you have one scene shot 6 times, figure at least 2 or 3 takes for each (if you're lucky) so 12 to 18 takes of the same scene. Looking the same is the job of the DP who and director who make sure the lighting looks the same, and the continuity person or script supervisor who makes sure the glass is equally full, or the cigarette burned the same amount in every take.

I know this is going to be a dumb question but I am full of them. I want to shoot a wide shot but then I want to cut into a close up. I know how to do it on the editing part but I want to know how I should film it? Shoot the same action twice? If that's the case how do I set up the shot so it looks similar for both shots?
Not dumb at all.

Yes. You will shoot the same action twice. If fact, you
will shoot the same action many, many times using
different camera positions and angles. Learning to get
the same lighting and look and performance from your
actors doing the same thing over and over and over is
all part of learning to become a good movie maker.

For example, sometimes you will shoot a scene of two
people sitting at a table talking eight to ten times.

Master shot
Close up on each actor
Over the shoulder on each actor
Medium shot on each actor
Dolly shot
Overhead shot

Each time doing the entire scene again and again.

Back