Dual XLR inputs - dual audio import?

Here's the situation:

I borrowed a Sony Z1U from a friend, to film a live event. There's a sound-guy & sound-board there, so I'll be connected to the sound-board for great audio with an XLR cable to channel #1.

Now... as my friend drove away (for vacation), he said I should use the plug-in camera-mounted mic in channel #2 to also record the sound of what is happening in the immediate area.

Question is: If channel #1 & channel #2 are used at the same time, to record to tape, do they get merged as a single audio track? Or, when I import to Prem4, will I automagically have two separate audio tracks that I can adjust independently of each other?

In case it matters, I'll be importing all footage with a Canon HV40; not the Z1U itself.

I am not camera-technical at all. Thanks. :cool:

You can setup premiere to treat stereo audio as two discrete mono tracks, or you can "break out to mono" after the fact.

Look into Clip > Audio Options > Breakout To Mono

for the latter and

(do this to your setup before you import the clips)

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > Audio
2. In the Source Channel Mapping area, choose Mono from the Default Track Format menu.
3. Click OK.

for the former.

Another use for the unused channel, (assuming your not getting a stereo mix from the sound guy) is to have the same input but recorded at a lower level. That way if you "clip" on the Left track, you might still have usable audio on the Right track.

Another use for the unused channel, (assuming your not getting a stereo mix from the sound guy) is to have the same input but recorded at a lower level. That way if you "clip" on the Left track, you might still have usable audio on the Right track.

I love this technique "Safety Tracking"... it's saved my butt many times.

I'm not at all familiar with cameras, but I would be sure that the panning (if the camera has that option) is hard left and hard right, otherwise you will get bleed. I have gotten slightly mixed to completely mixed audio tracks that were supposed to be separate, which is a bloody disaster.

Back