DSLR

Is there any DSLR cameras that shoot in 1080p that are under $1,000?

Several. Many on here would steer you towards a Panasonic GH2. As I am a total rookie and haven't even received my GH2 yet, I couldn't comment on what the best DLSR would be, but to give you a basic answer, yes. There are many DSLR's for under $1000 dollars which shoot video in 1080p.

Is there any DSLR cameras that shoot in 1080p that are under $1,000?

The newer Canon T4i DSLR is a whisker under $750, if you get one with the 18mm-55mm stock lens. That particular lens is quite good for a starter lens, but you'll want to read up on using vintage lenses that can be inexpensively added to your camera kit later down the road. If you're comfortable selecting your own lenses straight up, you can get a T4i (just the body) for about $600.

The afore-mentioned Panasonic GH2 has a big cult following these days, too. It can swap lenses out, as well, and it's possible to safely boost the firmware to exceed factory specs.

Other terms to look up before deciding: crop sensor, crop factor. Most people make too much of a huge deal about these, but it will help you understand why footage from two different cameras can appear different, on the same lens.

Very important note: These types of DSLR camers have diabolical sound-recording capabilities. Research the importance of capturing good audio, here on the forums. Even a cheap Zoom H4n or Tascam DR100 with basic shotgun & boom will help salvage an otherwise useless audio timeline. There are several audio experts here who love to bitch about... err... I mean... discuss filmmakers and their audio techniques. :lol:

Yea, my first choice was a canon t3i but I learned that it shoots in 720p but I would like to shoot in high definition 1080p. Also if I were to get the Canon T4i what kind of lenses would be recommended. Wide angle, telephoto, etc.?

Yea, my first choice was a canon t3i but I learned that it shoots in 720p

It shoots at 1080p, at 24 frames per second.

If you want the option to shoot at 60 frames per second (for slow-motion, or other reason) you switch to 720p.

Also if I were to get the Canon T4i what kind of lenses would be recommended. Wide angle, telephoto, etc.?

If you can only afford one lens, you'd be better off getting a zoom lens that covers a spectrum of focal lengths. The kit lens comes with a decent spread, but is not so hot in other ways. You can still get a really good image out of it, mind you. A similar Tamron 2.8 15mm-50mm lets you shoot with a wider aperture at all focal lengths, but is much pricer.

There are many good vintage lenses to be found on Ebay, too. If you know what you need, you can keep an eye out for the good deals that pop up. If you're not getting a zoom lens, you're looking at getting several fixed-length lenses covering a spread anyway.

It shoots at 1080p, at 24 frames per second.
If you want the option to shoot at 60 frames per second (for slow-motion, or other reason) you switch to 720p..

if i am not mistaken all DSLRs in the $1000 range shoot 60fps at 720p...if we wanna get all technical then i'll say all cameras with interchangable lenses shoot 60fps at 720p stock....

Back