DSLR Field Rig

Hey everyone. I've been thinking about investing in a DSLR rig but i'm having trouble finding one to my liking. Things I would like to have on this rig:
-Rail System
-1-2 Handles (either is fine)
-Follow Focus
-Matte Box
-Possible to add field monitor in the future

Personally I would not like to go over $400 on this rig. Here are a couple rigs that I found:
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Star-Indi...TF8&coliid=I27B6RISKP00RC&colid=1A39TZ4D53QJG

http://express35.com/blog/rig-x/

The express 35 rig is the rail system with handles but does not come with the follow focus and matte box, so I feel like in total that would be more expensive than the Red Star rig. If you guys have any suggestions/other rigs I could look at, that would be great! Thanks!

I wouldn't touch that Red Star rig with a barge pole. The matte box looks utterly useless, with poorly designed flags and no filter tray (and Cheesycam agrees), and the camera is mounted in front of the handles making the rig completely unbalanced and generally a waste of space. I don't know anything about the follow focus, but I find it hard to believe it would perform well at that price.

You could definitely get a decent rail-based shoulder rig with handles for less than $400, but I think a follow focus and matte box bought for the same price are going to be more trouble than they're worth - I'd definitely feel happier using no follow focus at all than a crappy one. The Rig X may be the way to go, but it depends on your needs and shooting style. While a few rig manufacturers do sell ridiculously overpriced products, with some components (particularly follow focuses and matte boxes) you really do get what you pay for.

CPM Filmtools is my favorite budget rig. They advertise here and offer 10% off, or I picked up a kit on eBay (from them) for a great price.

A great follow focus is worth it's weight in gold. Redrock micro is the best bang for the buck IMO.

I'd hold off on a Mattebox for a while. Like it's been said, a cheap one is pointless.

And a monitor is an excellent idea. Even a cheap one helps pull focus, just have to watch color on the cheap ones. When we set the look on the in-cam LCD then plug the monitor in for focus.

Let us know what you decide!

I only have a 4" monitor arm from CPM filmtools (bought with the 10% indietalk discount). So I can't vouch for all their gear, but for the price (like $50) my arm seems reasonable build quality and the shipping was prompt, communication was good.

I have the RR follow focus. No complaints thus far. Though "pros" will say its pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as repeatable focus pulls. I think I paid between $400 and $500 with no gears included.

Mainly I'm looking for a rig that I could use for running action scenes. The follow focus will be very important for me to use. Right now I have the cowboystudio shoulder mount, which has worked fine but the issue with that rig is that it picks up the slightest footstep. While I do want that sort of running effect with the scenes I am planing, it picks up TOO MUCH of the footsteps. So mainly what I need is more stability and definitely the follow focus. I can deal without having the matte box and field monitor for a while (although the field monitor would be extremely helpful)

Your best bet for that kind of shooting is a very wide lens (like 28mm or wider) and some some kind of glidecam/merlin/steadicam rig. Your odds of being able to pull focus without a monitor, while running around with the camera are basically zero. You need to try and not HAVE to pull focus.

Your best bet for that kind of shooting is a very wide lens (like 28mm or wider) and some some kind of glidecam/merlin/steadicam rig. Your odds of being able to pull focus without a monitor, while running around with the camera are basically zero. You need to try and not HAVE to pull focus.

I don't know why I didn't think of a glidecam before, haha. I think that's the route I'll take! Thanks!

Back