• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Double feature

Acove: You came out me with way too much pretention. I don't care if you make a living off of films. If you act that way towards me why would I want you as an ally?

Foster: Maybe. I just wanted to get my views up on YouTube and help my career out. I just thought that I could get some views here.

I'll make comments for other folks in the future. I would like to help the cause.

Last edited:
Alright man good luck. I clicked on each of the links so you have another view on each.
I don't know how that is going to help your career though.

Well you could just watch the films so that the views actually register.

You do not understand how getting say thousands of people to watch my shorts could help my career? I mean Justin Beiber was discovered on youtube!

But you clearly didn't watch the whole thing with is disrespectful.

Would you prefer I lied? I started watching, I couldn't watch any more.

I'm going to give you another piece of feedback. You can take it or leave it.

In this thread you're coming off as a self-centered asshole having a kiddie-tantrum after the results aren't what you hoped. I also come off looking like an asshole, so I know how it looks. It's not doing you any favors.

Watch the short and spread the word.

Which was the last film which you promoted from this site? Not including your own?

Perhaps you'd be better off looking for a film watching/marketing forum/group if you want eyeballs for the sake of eyeballs?

Your own friends wouldn't watch the film. I know how you feel. My family won't watch what I make. Pro Tip: Strangers won't care more. It's all about the WIIFM.

Who spends money marketing a short film?

Only those filmmakers who understand the nature of the medium and have clear, specific, defined goals and are working towards those goals. In other words, those who are building an audience, which is usually the primary reason filmmakers are trying to get views on their work.

Did you spend money on festival entries like thousands of others? Guess what? You spent money marketing a short film.

I am better off selling the rights for distribution at this point.

If you have offers for distribution for your shorts, jump on it. NOW!

I hate some aspects of this business. Just gotta remember that it isn't a very supportive one at all.

Don't we all. There are many aspects of this business I also hate. The honest truth is there are way too many people out there to be supportive to everyone who asks. I don't have enough time to fulfill for those who I work with let alone helping a stranger on a website.

You need to make a decision. Can you live with those aspects? They're not going to change. If not, are you going to quit?

This business has no sense of community.

It does. Maybe you're looking in the wrong places, dealing with the wrong people and using the wrong bait.

Well you could just watch the films so that the views actually register.

You do not understand how getting say thousands of people to watch my shorts could help my career? I mean Justin Beiber was discovered on youtube!

Do you think you'll get a high view count and then someone will hand you a contract to direct?

I just went to their trending page and the lowest I saw was over 100,000 views for a video to be there.
I can't imagine a couple thousand views will do anything for your career. If you get to the hundred thousands and you have a truly incredible film then perhaps you've got a shot at seeing something come from it. You could trend and pick up momentum but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Would you prefer I lied? I started watching, I couldn't watch any more.

I'm going to give you another piece of feedback. You can take it or leave it.

In this thread you're coming off as a self-centered asshole having a kiddie-tantrum after the results aren't what you hoped. I also come off looking like an asshole, so I know how it looks. It's not doing you any favors.

Still a dick move. But judging how you talk to everyone it's in line with your character.

And it's a good thing that I don't give rat's ass what anyone here thinks.

Which was the last film which you promoted from this site? Not including your own?

Perhaps you'd be better off looking for a film watching/marketing forum/group if you want eyeballs for the sake of eyeballs?

Your own friends wouldn't watch the film. I know how you feel. My family won't watch what I make. Pro Tip: Strangers won't care more. It's all about the WIIFM.
I just got back on this site.

You just stated what's wrong with this world. Everyone is too out for themselves. I am tired of it. So why should I watch what anyone here creates with that logic?

Only those filmmakers who understand the nature of the medium and have clear, specific, defined goals and are working towards those goals. In other words, those who are building an audience, which is usually the primary reason filmmakers are trying to get views on their work.

Did you spend money on festival entries like thousands of others? Guess what? You spent money marketing a short film.
Paying for fb ads for a short is dumb. Can't even break even that way.

If you have offers for distribution for your shorts, jump on it. NOW!
Working on that.

Don't we all. There are many aspects of this business I also hate. The honest truth is there are way too many people out there to be supportive to everyone who asks. I don't have enough time to fulfill for those who I work with let alone helping a stranger on a website.

You need to make a decision. Can you live with those aspects? They're not going to change. If not, are you going to quit?

Another reason why this world is messed up. If we were all supportive of each other we would all do better.
l like filmmaking and acting. But I hate the industry to be honest. I am just going to have my producers and agents deal with all of that stuff.

It does. Maybe you're looking in the wrong places, dealing with the wrong people and using the wrong bait.

Sure seems like it.

Do you think you'll get a high view count and then someone will hand you a contract to direct?

I just went to their trending page and the lowest I saw was over 100,000 views for a video to be there.
I can't imagine a couple thousand views will do anything for your career. If you get to the hundred thousands and you have a truly incredible film then perhaps you've got a shot at seeing something come from it. You could trend and pick up momentum but I wouldn't hold your breath.

It's better than 80 views isn't it?

It's better than 80 views isn't it?

IDK.. I guess I'll find out when I release my next short.
I feel like I won't care since it makes no difference either way.

I should be doing post production on the audio but feeling lazy

IDK.. I guess I'll find out when I release my next short.
I feel like I won't care since it makes no difference either way.

I should be doing post production on the audio but feeling lazy

That is not true and you know.

Even having 2,000 views gives you more street cred. Look at it this way, would you rather go into a restaurant with barely any people on a Friday night or go into one that is a full house?

The good news is I started my audio post production.
I gave the audio voice over narrative part to an actor that helped me out as an extra and brought along 2 friends on a different project.

That is not true and you know.

Even having 2,000 views gives you more street cred. Look at it this way, would you rather go into a restaurant with barely any people on a Friday night or go into one that is a full house?

Yeah I suppose you're right. Having a couple thousand views might help convince some actors to audition.

The good news is I started my audio post production.
I gave the audio voice over narrative part to an actor that helped me out as an extra and brought along 2 friends on a different project.

Yeah I suppose you're right. Having a couple thousand views might help convince some actors to audition.

Are you doing the sound editing yourself?

And not even convincing actors to audition (I can do that on the strength of my stories and as an actor I can say that I don't judge wether I want to be involved in a project on if a short on YouTube has a lot of views or even if their feature films have grossed a lot of money or not). But it helps more in a business sense. It's pretty much like box office now (most YouTube videos are monetized). Producers will see that people turned up to see your work, agents too. Investors will probably be more impressed if 2,000 people watched your short rather than 200. It just helps all around.

Look at that film a better life. From what I have heard it's a great movie. Hell an actor got an Oscar nomination from it. But it lost money. Most people haven't even heard of it, much less seen it (including me). Chris Weitz is a good director. But he hasn't directed since. I have to assume it's partly due to making $2 million on a $10 million budget.

But M Night Shalyaman can make a bunch of bad movies because his movies make enough money (though I heard his last one has him back on track).

Last edited:
Yeah I basically do 100% preproduction and postproduction by myself.
I am going to send this off to a composer for music though

This particular film I was also the entire production crew with 1 friend to hold the boom pole.

But judging how you talk to everyone it's in line with your character.

I tell it how I see it.

Look at it this way, would you rather go into a restaurant with barely any people on a Friday night or go into one that is a full house?

I go to where I can enjoy a quality meal. I watch content I enjoy. I stop watching content which I either don't enjoy or I'm not learning from.

You just stated what's wrong with this world. Everyone is too out for themselves. I am tired of it. So why should I watch what anyone here creates with that logic?

I'm dumbfounded. What exactly did you expect? You expected everyone would ring-a-ding-ding their bell, yelling and screaming, "Hear ye, hear ye." outside their town halls to promote your film? It ain't happening. The world isn't like that. Human nature doesn't change. Crying about how the world doesn't bend to your expectations doesn't fix it. It makes you a malcontent. It isn't going to help.

Another reason why this world is messed up. If we were all supportive of each other we would all do better. l like filmmaking and acting. But I hate the industry to be honest. I am just going to have my producers and agents deal with all of that stuff.

I call bullshit that we'd all do better if we were supportive. It's that same political correctness thinking that's turning the world further to shit. The lets give everyone an award for turning up. Lets reward effort and not results right? Lets all pat ourselves on the back. The rich 1 percenters should be fair and give us their money! Pretty please? What BS fantasy world crap. We'd all do better if we were all better. It's that simple. Patting ourselves on the back trying to imagine how you'd polish the turd a little more isn't helping at all.

I see it time and time again. People create a crappy film. They wonder why the world doesn't flock to their doorstep, throwing gobs of money at them. It's worse when you see filmmakers getting mad when other filmmakers won't finance their films via crowdfunding/investing etc.

If you want investors, go to where investors can be found. If you want eyeballs, go to where there's traffic and demand for your film. If you want to talk with filmmakers, go to where the filmmakers hang out. If you want people to promote your film, go pay marketers to do their job.

If you hate the industry so much, why do you want to be a part of it?

I tell it how I see it.
Sounds like you are just giving yourself an excuse to be a dick.

I go to where I can enjoy a quality meal. I watch content I enjoy. I stop watching content which I either don't enjoy or I'm not learning from.
Once again you are giving yourself an excuse to be a dick. You don't get hired a lot do you?

I'm dumbfounded. What exactly did you expect? You expected everyone would ring-a-ding-ding their bell, yelling and screaming, "Hear ye, hear ye." outside their town halls to promote your film? It ain't happening. The world isn't like that. Human nature doesn't change. Crying about how the world doesn't bend to your expectations doesn't fix it. It makes you a malcontent. It isn't going to help.
I expected filmmakers to be above it. I suppose only the ones that I like and respect are.

I call bullshit that we'd all do better if we were supportive. It's that same political correctness thinking that's turning the world further to shit. The lets give everyone an award for turning up. Lets reward effort and not results right? Lets all pat ourselves on the back. The rich 1 percenters should be fair and give us their money! Pretty please? What BS fantasy world crap. We'd all do better if we were all better. It's that simple. Patting ourselves on the back trying to imagine how you'd polish the turd a little more isn't helping at all.

I see it time and time again. People create a crappy film. They wonder why the world doesn't flock to their doorstep, throwing gobs of money at them. It's worse when you see filmmakers getting mad when other filmmakers won't finance their films via crowdfunding/investing etc.

If you want investors, go to where investors can be found. If you want eyeballs, go to where there's traffic and demand for your film. If you want to talk with filmmakers, go to where the filmmakers hang out. If you want people to promote your film, go pay marketers to do their job.

If you hate the industry so much, why do you want to be a part of it?
Your posts make more sense now. That is a horrible mentality that you got going. Who said anything about awards? Awards bullshit anyway (Academy Awards anyone?). If we were all more supportive of others there would be much less hate in this world. For example, you are a showing yourself to be a real horse's ass. I don't like you. If you had gone a different route we could have gotten along. It's as simple as that.

I cannot tell if you are calling my two films that you have not seen in their entirety (sounds to me that you watched a minute or two and decided that it was too long), crappy or you just assumed since no one has really watched them, or if you are just speaking generally. Either way you are just some kind of asshole man. I would hate to work with you. I can feel your negativity through my laptop screen. You should really work on that. You act like you are the shit. But the only Aussie directors that I know of are George Miller, Baz Lurman, and Mel Gibson. I remember seeing some Aussie commercial in London for upset stomachs. Was that you?

And as I stated I like filmmaking and acting. It's people like you and Acove that make me hate the industry. Without film I probably would have no reason to live. And I am pretty suicidal due to this world to begin with. Get it?

Last edited:
If we were all more supportive of others there would be much less hate in this world.

There's be less hate in the world if I got to ride a unicorn! Yeeeeha!

sounds to me that you watched a minute or two and decided that it was too long

Lets assume I watched a minute or two. Do those films suck any less further in you get or is it pretty much the same all the way through?

You act like you are the shit.

Don't project your delusions upon me. Only wannabe filmmakers and learning filmmakers like you and me hang out on filmmaker forums. If we weren't wannabe's or learning, we'd be too busy making our films to hang here.

If you had gone a different route we could have gotten along.

You don't get it? I don't like delusional or mentally ill people. I have no patience for those who give false hope to others. They're the ones who are going to cause others to waste years of their life on fantasy dreams. I see the world for what it is. It's a cold harsh place. I don't try to see it through rose colored glasses. If you need people to blow smoke up your ass, it's a good thing we don't get along.

It's people like you and Acove that make me hate the industry.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. You're not a blip on either of our radars. Neither of us hate you. Me personally, I doubt I'd remember you if I didn't hear from you again.

I am pretty suicidal due to this world to begin with. Get it?

Do the right thing. Seek professional help. If you're genuine about being suicidal, get off the forums and get the help you need.

It's people like you and Acove that make me hate the industry.

This is part of the reason you need help. Get some.

Another point, if your happiness relies upon others giving you approval, this industry will eat you up and spit you out. Might be worth working towards measuring sticks you can control or find other means to make you happy.

Now you need to gain the courage to get well.

LOL. I feel bad for you Sweetie. You must really hate yourself to become some internet tough guy. I bet in real life you are just some pushover. And you are more or less passive aggressive on the Internet!

I bet you don't even make films. You probably are an usher at a movie theater. Even if you do you clearly are t worth much as I have never seen or heard of your work more than likely.

But it must make yourself feel better to be a self important douche. I don't know why anyone on here listens to you. It's clear as day what you do.

Btw I don't watch two minutes of anything and decide a final verdict. I guess you Aussies are different. But in America we try to finish things before we actually judge.

Last edited:
.............I mean Justin Beiber was discovered on youtube!

True.
He sang covers and used the names of popular artists to 'manipulate' search results in Google and YouTube to get noticed and maybe even created playlists where his songs were among those artists. So, not only did he upload and share the videos, he (or his crew) used VSEO (Video Search Engine Optimization) to their advantage.
I think his videos were also 'planted' on websites where the 'screaming young teen girl target audience' hangs out.

Everyone wanting to get views on their videos, should take some time to learn the basics of marketing and videomarketing.

And Sfoster is right: filmmakers are a tough crowd.
At the same time it is a crowd that can give feedback on a lot of aspects of content and technique.

True.
He sang covers and used the names of popular artists to 'manipulate' search results in Google and YouTube to get noticed and maybe even created playlists where his songs were among those artists. So, not only did he upload and share the videos, he (or his crew) used VSEO (Video Search Engine Optimization) to their advantage.
I think his videos were also 'planted' on websites where the 'screaming young teen girl target audience' hangs out.

Everyone wanting to get views on their videos, should take some time to learn the basics of marketing and videomarketing.

And Sfoster is right: filmmakers are a tough crowd.
At the same time it is a crowd that can give feedback on a lot of aspects of content and technique.

Sounds like Beiber had some smart folks around damn.

As for filmmakers being a tough crowd no one needs to give me that b.s. For starters you are the only one who actually watched either one of my shorts and gave any feedback. The great badass sweetie thinks he is psychic and watched a minute or two and no one else here even bothered to watch.

I've been around enough filmmakers to know what's up. I've showed those films to fellow directors before and they actually watched the whole thing (and liked it too, so bonus). I guess they had more character than most here.

I think most filmmakers are too self involved. All I know is that I won't be supporting too many others projects on here.

I watched half of the first one before getting too bored. There wasn't anything that anyone said or did that wasn't completely predictable.

And an unsolicited word of advice: compliment the actress who supported you but don't bitch publicly about the one that didn't. There's no upside to it and you never know who knows who - sometimes the film universe if surprisingly small.

^You are entitled to your own opinion. But it's cool that you actually watched more than two minutes. Even if you sounded super snarky. Btw I saw the film that you wrote and yikes! What the hell happened there?

And nah I am good. She deserves to be shamed due to her behavior. I haven't publicly said her name of anything. And I doubt anyone here will look it up.

Back