• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Double feature

Double short feature

This is my latest short, Elsewhere. Were still going for some festivals. But I can finally put it publically online. So far the response has been good. I am disappointed that the main actress has pretty much refused to promote (though the second actress has been helping me out a lot). So I ask for all of you to please spread this link around, anything helps.

https://youtu.be/3DsbkSDbYGo

This is the short that I did before Elsewhere called Mastery. Despite some really bad sound issues I was able to get into some film festivals. I decided to finally make this one public.

https://youtu.be/eqHqW6M_g7o

I hope you all enjoy.

Last edited:
Bump

Doesn't even look like anyone here clicked on the links. Isn't this supposed to be a community? What are we, the Academy?

So I ask for all of you to please spread this link around

A few points:

I'm not someone who does market stuff often, but when I do, I'm usually willing to dump a bit of cash into advertising. It may be worth considering yourself. Paid Facebook promotion doesn't cost a lot. Alternatively you could find forums/groups that have an interest in the subjects covered by your films.

Second. You may want to try to help yourself a little. Your descriptions about the films " I am disappointed that the main actress has pretty much refused to promote" and "really bad sound issues" aren't exactly selling points. I'd suggest explaining a little about what your films are about. Why we should watch them. At least the genre if they're not dramas.

Before you say, I did click on the links and had a brief look. Your first is the same as you posted your trailer earlier in the week. The other looked like some arthouse thing. Grats on getting into some film festivals with the film. Well done.

A few points:

I'm not someone who does market stuff often, but when I do, I'm usually willing to dump a bit of cash into advertising. It may be worth considering yourself. Paid Facebook promotion doesn't cost a lot. Alternatively you could find forums/groups that have an interest in the subjects covered by your films.

Second. You may want to try to help yourself a little. Your descriptions about the films " I am disappointed that the main actress has pretty much refused to promote" and "really bad sound issues" aren't exactly selling points. I'd suggest explaining a little about what your films are about. Why we should watch them. At least the genre if they're not dramas.

Before you say, I did click on the links and had a brief look. Your first is the same as you posted your trailer earlier in the week. The other looked like some arthouse thing. Grats on getting into some film festivalshttp://www.indietalk.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=409881 with the film. Well done.
Who spends money marketing a short film? I am better off selling the rights for distribution at this point.

This is a freaking filmmaking site. Why should I sell it here? I thought that since this is a "community" that people would watch others work. But I guess I was mistaken.

You say you had a brief look which is better than no look at all. But you clearly didn't watch the whole thing with is disrespectful. And duh the first is same film from the trailer. That's why I posted the trailer.

I hate some aspects of this business. Just gotta remember that it isn't a very supportive one at all.

I thought that since this is a "community" that people would watch others work. But I guess I was mistaken.

I wonder what gave you that foolish idea?
You've been here for more than 6 months and you've never once commented on anyone else's short film.

But you come in here expecting everyone else to watch yours?
Hmmmm... I think they call that Hubris. But there might be a worse word for it.

Just gotta remember that it isn't a very supportive one at all.

Bigger you give, the bigger you get.
Ironic that someone so unsupportive of others would complain about a lack of support.

^ I have been off this board for months at a time.

And I wasn't looking for comments pre say. Views would be nice though.

I understand why Tony Scott and Robin Williams killed themselves. This business has no sense of community. No one cares about one another unless it benefits them.

So you don't feel the slightest bit hypocritical?
You seem to be exactly the kind of person you're complaining about.

You are just being a dick.

I have watched others work. I don't need to comment. And as I stated I don't even really want any comments. I just want views.

I have watched others work. I don't need to comment..

And yet if you had commented ... maybe they would feel inclined to watch your videos in return?
Food for thought. You're complaining about a sense of community but community is established by COMMUNICATION.

I'm taking the time to educate and point out an obvious truth to you, but you can't seem to handle that so you've become offended and think I'm being a dick.

Last edited:
I said that you are being a dick because you are getting all high and mighty for no reason. If you feel that way then lead by example. Watch the short and spread the word.

Judging by other threads in this section I am not the only one not getting any love. It's just disappointing when your lead actress won't even promote, an actress that said she would promote has barely done anything, and a "community" does nothing. And when I post it on Twitter and Facebook can't even get a like or comment, Makes me wonder why I even do this.

All I know is that I won't be watching any of your projects.

I said that you are being a dick because you are getting all high and mighty for no reason. If you feel that way then lead by example. Watch the short and spread the word.

Judging by other threads in this section I am not the only one not getting any love. It's just disappointing when your lead actress won't even promote, an actress that said she would promote has barely done anything, and a "community" does nothing. And when I post it on Twitter and Facebook can't even get a like or comment, Makes me wonder why I even do this.

All I know is that I won't be watching any of your projects.

It's shocking how hard it is to get an audience, isn't it?
Half of my "friends" on facebook wouldn't even give me 3 minutes of their time to watch my ad-free crime thriller.

Posting on facebook doesn't do much - I sent a personalized private message to every single person.

That is our race.
People generally don't give a shit about supporting anyone else even if all it costs them is a lousy 3 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBmFwKH5bVY

Dozens of shorts appear every week on a multitude of film sites. Why should I watch YOUR short? What sets yours apart from all the others that I should spend the time to watch it? 99% of the time I am disappointed, so I don't bother very often - especially since I work on so many crappy shorts every year that viewing another one during my spare time is very low on the list.

So you got into a festival; there are so many festivals now that being in a festival has become almost meaningless. Now, if you had said your project got into Sundance or a similarly prestigious festival then I might take a peek.

And being upset that no one answers your post in less than 18 hours? Guess what? We all work, have personal lives, etc. So have a little patience - you're going to need A LOT of patience if you're going to be in this business.

Don't take this personally; that's just how it is.

I see that a lot of members of this site are not very cool people. Just dick responses.

What I do get out of this is that most people just flat out suck. THIS IS A FILMMAKER FORUM. YOU HELP OUT OTHER FILMMAKERS. So Alcove don't act like you are something special or whatever you think you are. If you were so important you wouldn't even be here right now.

Sheesh. At least I know not to post anything here ever. No one cares about anyone but themselves (which is not what film is about).

Last edited:
At least I know not to post anything here ever. No one cares about anyone but themselves (which is not what film is about).

So you're upset that everyone else acts exactly the same way that you do?

I told you very honestly and specifically why I personally didn't want to watch your short. I don't have the time (20 minutes is a long time( or the inclination (hey, if you're an auto mechanic the last thing you want to do after a long days work is mess around with cars!) Others have contributed various points of view. Why not figure out a way to make people want to view your work instead of throwing a tantrum like a spoiled three year old?

Good luck!

So much drama, and so little time.
Come on people: just remember: when you are on your deathbed you will not regret you argued too little on the internet ;)

So calm down, everyone.

:P

@ Theauteur14:

I've posted several videos here: some get replies, others don't.
Why?
It can be anything: the video wasn't interesting enough to comment on, people were to busy to watch, let alone comment (or only had time to watch it: writing a good comment on a video takes time), or the way the video was presented didn't invite people to click and/or comment.
I'm not sure about this, because I didn't post hundreds of videos, nor did I collect and filter all data, but it seems that when I write something 'interesting' about the used techniques or some anekdotes, people ar emore inclined to respond.

Having said all this:
You posted on march the 3rd: I was shooting all day 8:00am till 8:30pm, after that I went through the shotlists for the next day and made a short animation for the next day.
After 1 day you give a bump: perfectly fine. But it had some anger in it.
I was shooting all day 8:00am till 9:00pm, had pizza, stored all the gear loaded backup footage.
March 5th: instead of weekend I'm reshooting 1 shot of 10 seconds: it takes me 6 hours to pick up the camera from the rental (only a few hours after I returned it, lol), I've got a bit of a headache: slept too little this whole week. After finishing today I watched an episode of Vikings, Mr Robot and Luther (brilliant, btw).
I'm probably not the only one who was busy ;)

Now I'll take a look :)

Btw: I think it would have been smarter to post them seperately. Both in thread as in time.

PS.
Did you know that when you use [ YT ] [ /YT ] and put the final piece of the YouTube URL between those tags without spaces, the video is embedded on IT?
Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsbkSDbYGo

Alcove: I don't care if you watch my shorts or not. You are no one special. So quit acting like you are on some internet forum. Asshole.

Walter: I wasn't looking for comments. I was looking for views. And I've gone on youtube enough to check the views and I am pretty sure that very little people from this site even clicked on one of the links.

I am just disappointed. When I was racing everyone was supportive. Competitors would help you out, give you tips, etc, etc. Filmmaking is so different. Too many self important jerks (not saying that you are).

Maybe my disappointment of my lack of presence on the internet in general is seeping into this. But I am still not wrong in my assertions.

Last edited:
I watched Elsewhere.

First: congrats on finishing it and getting it on filmfests.
I had to laugh about the Grey Anatomy remark.

Now some supportive feedback to take with you on your feature or short :P

The dialogue is sometimes a bit hard to follow due to noise.
Sometimes it seems to be filtered and sometimes not, which makes it more obvious.
I'm not a native speaker and probably it is also because I'm tired AND I'm watching on a laptop: but I think I missed the point in the end: I couldn't figure out what you said in the end.

Around 5:09 and 5:19 something strange is happening in the audio.

This is something to watch for next time: faces are often cut on the side of the screen, while the talking character is almost in the center of the frame. That made those compositions feel off-balance for me. I understand you were up to a challenge: directing and acting at the same time is not easy.
I think you can also try to use more reaction shots of the 'listener' instead of always showing the 'talker'.

You should have changed shirts for the final scene ;)
(Seriously: your character seemed to have lighten up AND it is the next day. A shirt with a warmer color could emphasise both.)

Alcove: I don't care if you watch my shorts or not.

That's part of your problem.

You are no one special.

I never said that I was, but how do you know that I am not?. I make a living in the entertainment industry. Do you? I could have been an ally, now I will go out of my way to avoid you.

Comments like that are no way to build a following. I could have been an ally, but now having sampled your attitude and immaturity I will go out of my way to avoid you.

However, I still wish you luck.

Interesting feedback. Those creative sound design choices there. I noticed that depending on your pc and speakers or how you watched it that it would either be hard to hear or come out fine. I had a critic say good things about the sound design. But also a director friend that liked the short, but had issues with the sound as well. If you ever want to watch it again I suggest plugging it into you t.v for the best quality.

The compositions were all an artistic choice. I thought it looked kinda different and gave the scene a more uneasy feeling (judging by your response it worked!). We shot reaction shots and as you saw used a good bit of them. But the editor and I went a different way. We just felt that the Juilette character's monolouge didn't need to be cut away from.

I totally agree on the shirt thing. At the time I just felt that since my character and the girlfriend banged it out all night that it would be okay to be in the same shirt. In retrospect I would have changed that. But oh well.

But thank you for actually watching!

Last edited:
FWIW I think that other film makers are the worst audience to get feedback from.
Unless you're making a film about BTS or something, film makers are not your audience.

This forum is perfect for when you have a specific question though.

I think you're genuine and you have a different personality than a lot of people here. That's good for diversity, you should really consider providing feedback on other peoples stuff. All networking is done through personal relationships with individuals - not an amorphous community.

No one liked the first film I did 2 years ago.. video is set to private now
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=53475

People liked my second one.

Back