DOP Boot Camp

Jeebus. Commence grumpy, just started my coffee post:

Hurlbut is definitely great, and I am sure there are tons of things folks will learn by going, but there's a couple of points that seem silly to me.

What's up with the Fisher dolly in the pic. Really? How many 5D shooters are going to pop to rent a Fisher 11? Corollary. How does this camera "revolutionize" film making if you are just mounting it to all the prohibitively expensive infrastructure already in play for those with cash or access? For example, part of the course goes over PV mount lenses. Panavision isn't known for renting out their lenses to every tom dick and harry that comes along.

Nearly $3.5K for a 2 day course? WTH? I thought the folks at RED were daffy for charging $2500 for their week long technical training. Seems both of these are targeting that group of folks with more money than anything else.

OTOH, I *would* sell body parts for a 2 day course with certain cinematographers on the condition that it was about technique, and not dedicated to using a certain camera.

Sorry, not as negative about this as that all sounds. It is awesome to get to learn from anyone at Hurlbut's level - there are just a few things there that strike me as silly. :lol:

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD1qD66Myno

Bale shouldn't have lost his temper, publicly, but I'm still on his side. It seems reasonable to me that the person who made Batman so angry is the same person who would charge more for a two-day course than the cost of the camera.

Bale shouldn't have lost his temper, publicly, but I'm still on his side. It seems reasonable to me that the person who made Batman so angry is the same person who would charge more for a two-day course than the cost of the camera.

:lol:

I never made the connection. Hilarious.

Jeebus. Commence grumpy, just started my coffee post:

Hurlbut is definitely great, and I am sure there are tons of things folks will learn by going, but there's a couple of points that seem silly to me.

What's up with the Fisher dolly in the pic. Really? How many 5D shooters are going to pop to rent a Fisher 11? Corollary. How does this camera "revolutionize" film making if you are just mounting it to all the prohibitively expensive infrastructure already in play for those with cash or access? For example, part of the course goes over PV mount lenses. Panavision isn't known for renting out their lenses to every tom dick and harry that comes along.

Nearly $3.5K for a 2 day course? WTH? I thought the folks at RED were daffy for charging $2500 for their week long technical training. Seems both of these are targeting that group of folks with more money than anything else.

OTOH, I *would* sell body parts for a 2 day course with certain cinematographers on the condition that it was about technique, and not dedicated to using a certain camera.

Sorry, not as negative about this as that all sounds. It is awesome to get to learn from anyone at Hurlbut's level - there are just a few things there that strike me as silly. :lol:

+1

Well, I don't think hes targeting low budget indipendeants.. As I listen and read some of his interviews, he does seem to believe, that DSLR's are just better for many situations, than anything you can get, regardless of cost. He's sorta evangelizing the whole concept to the big money games.. thats my take anyway.. plus he's smart to capitalize on the whole name and DSLR craze.. hell get 40 folks to pay that cash, or rather he'll get 40 people in preproduciton of big projects (+5 million dollars) you cant bet.... whats $3500 when your trying to decide who to spend a budget of 1.5 million, just fact finding and research..

In one interview he said something along the lines, "when you come back to the client and say, by using the DSLR cameras, were coming in $60,000 UNDER BUDGET, you get more opportunities to realize your vision.. or something to that effect..

meh

Back