Dont let me blow it!

Hi everybody!Im gonna be the new Steven sillyburg!I allready quit my job!Actualy I have a little cry for help.I have a chance to shoot on video, my first project ever.Im a reservist being deployed to Iraq in Dec.Why not film a great documentary.I KNOW NOTHING.I have owned a DV,a PC and pinnacle 9 for one month to give you an idea of where I am as far as experience.I could sure use tips in anything you have to offer.Im picturing footage(?) interviews with fellow GIs.All I have together so far is make sure I use an external mic and dont forget my battery.What would make it interesting?what would make it seem more professianal?ect? Signed,future super 8 dominator!

Maybe pick up a book or two about making Documentaries?

Here's a couple:

Directing the Documentary - Michael Rabiger

Writing, Directing, and Producing Documentary Films & Videos - Alan Rosenthal

Documentary Storytelling for Video & Filmmakers - Sheila Curran Bernard

I would say first, pick what you want to focus the doc on.. clearly it will have something to do with GIs, and the war, or life overseas, etc.. pick a topic related to the people you'll have access to interview, and make sure it's something that interests you (you'll need to spend a LOT of time with it..)

You should probably also try to pick something that isn't the "typical war documentary".. that would make it more interesting to watch.

Will noted some books and offered some good advice. I just have to say, I think your first priority would be to (try) to stay safe. If this is a first endeavor, perhaps you could treat it more like a 'letter to home' rather then a great documentary...ironically, these 'letters to home' sometimes end up being poignant, little masterpieces.

Stay safe, and thank you for being in the service of all of us.

Last edited:
Wow theres a view I never thought of.Incredible how one thought or direction has so much power.Thats the kind of stuff you just dont get building model airplanes.I have been a recording musician most of my life and recently discovered video.Now I wonder what took so long for me to see the light.It is the highest art form and incorparates music ,sound,visual(too many subcatagories to list)and its an endless undiscovered venue.And this is coming from someone who until recently hasnt even edited a home movie.AND IM DYING TO SEE WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE UP TO VIEW BUT MY COMPUTER ISNT AGREEING WITH WMPLAYER.Anyway thanks so much.

For about $15 you can get a battery-powered button-clip lav mic. (The tiny things that attach to a collar, or tie). It's a wired mic, but it would be small & handy for sit-down interviews. Not so good for out in the field, though.

Make sure you have adequate light when indoors, and also that your subject is not seated in front of a window or open door. (If it's a sunny day you'll end up with a silhouette of a person and blown-out background)

Framing is pretty important, too. It might seem nice to fit the whole person on the screen but, unless there's a lot of stuff happening in the background to keep it busy, you'll be creating a lot of empty space to accomodate him/her.

Get signed releases from your subjects. If your doc turns into something big (or even if you want to circulate it to some events/fests/screenings) you'll need 'em.
_______

That's all I can think of right now, for general stuff.

I like Bird's idea. Video-blogs are starting to take off.

smiley_patriot.gif

Hey, good luck with it!

Just a thought since I was in the Navy for over 20 years... You'll have to get releases which means the chain of command is going to find out about it sooner or later. In this case, could be better to ask permission up front than to ask forgiveness later.

Stay safe!

filmy

Back